Wierd noise from front?... Foouunnnd iiit !

SnowKat

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone could explain a clanking'ish noise from the front of the 'Q? It happens only on initial exceleration from a stop usually only when cold in 2WD and 4WD(more 4wd tests to come, I usually forget and then its too late) and it sounds like the winch hook dragging which would be easily fixed if I actually had a winch (Hey maybe its one of those suprise options like the rear power outlet.......). I've read it described as driving over a grate on the weeeb but found no definitive answers (seems to happen to Titans too). I understand the thump when starting to drive is the ABS self test but this seems to be unrelated.

Also, there aren't any associated vibrations through the steering wheel, my butt, or feet.

If I was to venture a guess it sounds like when the front diff is randomly and not fully engagging the front driveshafts...hmmmmmm :crazy: .

Its hard to diagnose as you have to be moving to have it happen, and I forget about it, and only hear it with the window open. "Damn there it is....... Sorry honey I know were late but I have to conduct a few tests........"

I know what the easy answer is ....... Turn up that "Bloze" sterio and put the hammer down P... .

Now for the real answer......

I appreciate your advise and insite.

Markus

Edited by SnowKat

Eye yam an eediot..... -thnkboutit-

In the 6 years of seriously abusing a turbo car I have never heard it...... worried about it.... but never heard it..... stupid over-fueling ECU wreckin' my millage(I guess "Thats a good thing....")

After our great tour of the North Eastern States we haven't had a problem with the SES light and with the high gas prices lately we have been running 87 octane in the "Goat". Bad idea..... apparentely there is a lean condition at about 2K RPM and there is mild (God, I hope so....) pinging. Not enough to set off the knock sensor or even the SES light but it kinda sounds like running over a grate...... hmmmmmm. So when I had this brain fart I rushed over to my wifes work and dumped 13BUX worth of octain boost in and gave her strict instructions to listen. Once the boost cycled in there hasn't been any noise.... I still have to do some checking but I think we got it.

Anyone else found a lean condition around 2K RPM on a VQ35? I may be unique as I have reciently installed Iridium plugs 25 000 Km ago......

Markus

I run 87 and have not noticed any pinging.

And I have been working in area with very steep grades (1,000 m elevation gain in 11 kms or 9% AVERAGE grade, the steep parts are way steeper than that, pushing 15-17%) and have been locking the trannie in 2nd gear which works out to about 2,000-2,500 rpm at the speeds I am going at. And no pinging.

In the manuals I've read anything from 87 and up octane for the VQ35 and since we seem to have cleared up the SES prob I thought we could give her a shot and save some money..... What was I thinking?

The one thing I've noticed in this area (Ontario) is that we get the worst/least refined gas in the developed world. Sunoco is the only company supplying 94 Octane, Pioneer used to sell it under the 93 Magnum lable but it got too expensive for them, Esso went from 92 to 91 octane in their top fuel but Esso also has a super high sulfer content that beats up cats. In short tours through the states or out west and I was in gas heaven all stations offered at least 94 octane.... Why not here????

On a sidenote you don't always get what you pay for here in the Peterborough area. I have a A/F meter in my Celica and you can see when you get bad gas (hehehe... bad gas!). I only use premium and on the meter good gas in pinned at the last few bars of rich, I get good milage and everyone is happy..... when the crap goes through the meter moves into the stoic range and the ECU overcompensates and over fuels and I lose about 100km of range.... good for passing e-tests when the car idles in a leaner condition but crap for milage...... I don't think the A/F meter is calibrated right but it gives me a colourfull approximation of what is going on and gets the cops to ask "Whats that?" when it bounces around between open and closed loop.

I think we had been driving around on a few tanks of less than stellar 87 octane if the wildly inconsistant premium quality is any indication.....

How do you return bad gas???

Markus

The one thing I've noticed in this area (Ontario) is that we get the worst/least refined gas in the developed world.

But you get the cheapest in the nation. What is it today, oh around 70-75 cents?

We are at $1.149 :oops:

Maybe you get what you pay for :D