'88 Pathfinder w/Chevy 350?

Guest Jersey

Guest Jersey

Hey guys. I've got an '88 Pathfinder and just need to pinted in the right direction for some info on doing a chevy 350 swap and also a solid front axle. Any help is appreciated in advance. Thanks.

- Jersey

There isn't any real info available on either topic. An engine swap and front axle swap like you want are completely custom, one-off jobs. Every person that has done it has gone about it a different way. It's very expensive, it requires lots of cutting and welding, the ability to have the vehicle down and off the street/trail until it's finished, and knowledge of drivetrain manipulation/body clearancing/fabrication.

do you know the specifics of what you wanna do?

88 hit the nail on the head

these sorts of jobs are all one off customs. lots of time and megga $$$ involved

• 2 weeks later...
Guest 88PFMN
There isn't any real info available on either topic. An engine swap and front axle swap like you want are completely custom, one-off jobs. Every person that has done it has gone about it a different way. It's very expensive, it requires lots of cutting and welding, the ability to have the vehicle down and off the street/trail until it's finished, and knowledge of drivetrain manipulation/body clearancing/fabrication.

So what are we talking here? Like a 3, or 4 day weekend? -alcohol-

The SAS alone will take at least 1 week, there is a lot of custom fabrication you will have to do, but the 350 swap shouldn't be that bad, i belive novak sells an adaptor to install chev 350 Th350 and even bolt it up to the Nissan transfer case But if you do that, get a SLE (slip yoke eliminator)from calmini

are you going to go coil or leaf in the front?

I agree going with coils is the best way, if you go with a leaf spring set up you will have to extend the frame forward and this will take away from your aproach angle as well. Most SAS on pathies i've see use coils in front and belive it or not putting leafs in the back (when the rear axle is changed as well) I'm using the existing spring buckets on the Pathy frame.. anyway when you go to do this, start gathering parts at least 3 months prior or bring your gold card.

good luck

the only problem with coil overs in the rear, is that they can lead to rear end jacking under acceleration. i'm using front 3.5 inch early bronco rock crawler coils in the back. and probably rancho 9000 shocks (undecided) but don't put leafs in the back, it just ruins the whole pathy thing...

With a 4-link axle wrap shouldn't be a problem. I would rather use the Pathy Track bar rear before leafs. Anybody know if an inboard shock mount will work on a pathy?

Here are a few 4-link links from the Early Bronco guys:

Yes I used to be in the EB crowd.

Hey, I like my rear leafs... :D

You can pretty much mount the shocks anywhere within reason. We did a rear multimount on Homer's Sas'd Pathy. 45 degrees for trail, pull the pin and put straight up and down for street.

The EB's are a great resource...wish I had one!

Jdub..

anytime you have a link setup you don't have to wory about axle wrap. I was refering to rear end jacking, which, if you don't know, is the backend actually lifting up under acceleration. This Can be a problem with coil overs. but not always it really depends on how good your geometry is with the link install.. just sharing

Nice ride Mookie

and thats a good idea for the shocks...

There I go talking before comprehending again.

I do understand what you are saying. After being in the EB world for a couple years it seemed that the limit of axle articulation was due to the leafs. There are spring rockers out there that help. Go here and click on rear suspension. They seem to work pretty good and it also shows the inboard shock mount I mentioned.