Shocks?

Pathfinder-jay

And in the rear, longer shocks are desired to get maximum travel, but not absolutely required.

I think that depends, mws. I have stock length shocks in the rear (emergency purchase on a Sunday, because one of my old one's broke) and 3" lift, with no sway bars. I have ruined my shocks due to flexing....the seal (can't remember the name) blew because I overextended the shock.

Basically, Jay, if you're gonna lift for looks, stock length is fine, but if you're going to be flexing offroad with a lifted truck....get the longer shocks.

Oh, and the Trailmaster 4" should be okay.......that should just give you more travel.....just check the compressed length against a stock shock, to make sure it's not too much longer.

Well now I picked up the 3inch lift coils that are the same from AC off someone on this board and I just want to be certain the 4" shock absorbers for the trailmaster are the right ones. I Beleive thats all i need to lift the rear... Then in the front for now I might either leave it the way it is untill I can afford UCA's and bushings and ball joints for the front so I can complete the lift...

Guys as of the moment im not taking her offroading just my rear shocks and coils are finished and I plan on doing offroading in the near future when Im done fixing her up so I figured why would i waste money on stock ones if I plan on lifting her anyway... So if I dont do any offroading for awhile can I still lift the front with out changing the UCA's and Torsion bars?

Yes, you can... But at your own risk. The risk with extensive front end lift without new UCA's is upper ball joint stress and failures. With stock arms and more than an 1" or so of lift, the UBJ ends up at a bad angle. That's why you want the aftermarket arms, to correct the angle.

Alright then can someone just make me a general list of what I need exactly for the front lift... ive read the forums but its all a mix bag on the posts...

If someone doesnt mind can they just inform me what they did to get the front up to par for the 3 inch lift...?

PS... whats the worst that can happen with out changing front UCA's?

**anyone got some aftermarket UCA's up for grabs?**

Jay-

Probably the best thing to give you an idea of what to do is to look at what is included in a complete lift kit that is sold at AC or Calmini. No, you don't have to buy one of those kits, but you can see what they include.

What I did (essential IMO):

BDS springs

BDS torsion bars

4 Old Man Emu Shocks

Superlift UCA's

Optional things I did:

All new balljionts

new tie rod ends

L&P stage III steering kit

All new poly bushings ($$)

Rancho steering stablizer mount kit

Old Man Emu stabilizer

Z

post-1-1156665404.jpg

Jay, call rough country for the some arms (same as SuperLift) or

*will insert a link here after I find it ;) *

Your link: UCA's

---*Someone changed the title and made it harder to find :angry: ---

That links to a post of mine that I made in responce to one of yours -thnkboutit-

Call local tire/suspension shops in your area and see if they offer free inspections. Less Schwab down here in the states (WA State here) will inspect brakes and suspension, tell you what is wrong or close to failure and write a quote for the repairs... all for free.

Go from there, if it does not need to be changed now or in the near future, you should be ok.

Edited by RedPath88

Go from there, if it does not need to be changed now or in the near future, you should be ok.

Im not sure what you mean that it does not need to be changed... what are you referring too... cause my rear shock absorber is snapped off...

Also like i said earlier I dont have the money to get everything in the lift kit which is why im asking if it can be done just in the back and then I crank my torsion bars in the front....im not going to be offroading till after x-mas anyhow so ill be able to add things after just I want it to be 3 inch all around so it doesnt look stupid for the moment

Thanks

Jay

Jay you isolated that one line from the rest of the post, it was refering to what was directly above it...

Call local tire/suspension shops in your area and see if they offer free inspections.  Less Schwab down here in the states (WA State here) will inspect brakes and suspension, tell you what is wrong or close to failure and write a quote for the repairs... all for free.

If any given suspension part does not need to be changed (other than your lift components) then save your money and don't change a good part ;)

I was looking around and maybe I should just go with something like the calmini...

NP12600.jpg

Or this...

cf6c2387a67dbf2124c2b8cf56f2798a.jpg

33e6f2f3adbba0353f80f5050349d0e3.jpg

Im not sure if its just preference.... but Ive heard good and bad things about all 3 packages... rancho, calmini and bilstein... Just asking for some opinions on all 3 if you guys can

Thanks

Jay

You know what Jay... go with what you are comfortable with.

You seem to be set on getting new T-Bars even though you may not "need" them. Which is perfectly ok if that is what you really want to do.

You also seem to be a bit uncomfortable buying the lift components separately, like many people do.

If buying a prepackaged "Kit" (aka a collection of the same separate parts, sold together) makes you feel better, then go that route and be done with it :aok:

• 1 year later...
I loved my CLAMINI shocks that came with the lift kit. With my wonderful situation lately, they are nolonger on the truck and now I have Rancho RS5000's. Don't really want to knock them cause Rancho is a good brand/company, but not liking them over the CALMINI's. Does anyone know who manufactures CALMINI's shocks? Just curious!

Who makes Calmini's shocks?

Are they Ranchos?

Monroe's?

• 1 year later...

So, if the rear is banging/knocking when I hit bumps, could it be a bad shock? When I put my CALMINI 3" lift on years ago, I really enjoyed the CALMINI shocks. Snapped one and the shop replaced all the shocks with Rancho 5000's all around. I don't like them! I think one is bad now and there is a banging. I'll be taking a look this next week.

Any suggestions? Wasn't too sure about the bump stops or not?

Thanks all!