UHMW

FLApathy

Slick if you don't know skip over the topic :lol:

I know some, but I think the best to reply here / help you with your questions is probably B, so I'll pass it to him :lol:

Edited by RedPath88

I know some, but I think the best to reply here / help you with your questions is probably B, so I'll pass it to him :lol:

Yeah thats what I was thinking, I was going to PM him but I figured id ask the whole group.

MSC supplies UHMW Poly Ethylene, thats where I got mine. They have regular (white), anti static (black) and glass filled (blue). white is cheapest, blue most expensive but also the strongest. Call around locally to any plastic shops in the area. It may be cheaper, but even if not, maybe they'll just cut and sell you what you need, not an entire sheet. You'd save on shipping also. Tap Plastics is in my area, I have no idea if they are nation wide...

I can give you some tips on working it, it's pretty easy to form.

B

Go to Google, enter UHMWPE and click "Search". Simple question, simple answer.

Um, yeah, to bad I already did that before I posted.

And thanks B, metal is a lot of weight to be carrying around. Hows your skid holdin up and do you plan on making them and selling them?

Edited by FLApathy

The front skid I made is on JJ (big shoe)'s truck. I believe he rammed a tree stump and slid off of it without hardly a scratch to the 1/2" thick plate. Better ask him for more feed back, but I'm confident the stuff works very well.

Problem with me making them (I'd be more than willing) was well illustrated when JJ tried to bolt his on. It didn't fit right and he had to modify it. Reason being is my mangled front frame horns from an accident. What all of that means is that I have no straight Pathy to verify proper dimensions/fitment. I could get closer now thanks to JJ's feed back, but without knowing I could sell a finished product, I'm less inclined to make something to distribute. I have no issue helping people make their own though, and as I said, it is fairly easy with the most basic tools, some inteligence and patience.

B

The front skid I made is on JJ (big shoe)'s truck. I believe he rammed a tree stump and slid off of it without hardly a scratch to the 1/2" thick plate. Better ask him for more feed back, but I'm confident the stuff works very well.

Problem with me making them (I'd be more than willing) was well illustrated when JJ tried to bolt his on. It didn't fit right and he had to modify it. Reason being is my mangled front frame horns from an accident. What all of that means is that I have no straight Pathy to verify proper dimensions/fitment. I could get closer now thanks to JJ's feed back, but without knowing I could sell a finished product, I'm less inclined to make something to distribute. I have no issue helping people make their own though, and as I said, it is fairly easy with the most basic tools, some inteligence and patience.

B

sly i have a straight pathy for you to use :)

Ahem...

Ultra High Molecular Weight PolyEthylene.

Think milk jug on steroids. Play with a milk jug for a while. Go ahead. Try to break it. Or tear it. Polyethylene is some pretty tough stuff, ain't it?

Now make it denser so it is even tougher. And then make it about 100 times thicker. THAT makes for a tough skid plate....

This techno-moment brought to you by geeks unanimous.