Estimate for repairs....

SaKaNa

So I decided to try a mechanic right down the road from my office today to change my oil. Heres what they said:

The car needs a tune up with plug wires, new drive belts, new radiator hoses with a coolant flush, a motor-vac power fuel claening and the right exhaust manifold is cracked. ESTIMATE FOR REPAIRS IS 1326.36 PLUS TAX.

How much of this do YOU think is needed? I've got 88,300 miles, and use Sea Foam in my gas tank every couple months. The plug wires I figure I could easily do myself...

My exhaust sounds like a 3 cylinder diesel. I've known I have a manifold problem for ages, my normal mechanic said that the bolts and gasket need replacing for $275. This guy said that the manifold is cracked... wasnt that one of the pathy recalls...?

Cracked Manifold/broken Studs... Less than 100k isnt that covered by Nissan even on a R50??

New Belts are Easy enough.. Plugs and wires... Change them one at a time.

Coolant Flush and Hoses... not to difficult, i would say changing Plug #6 was more difficult P...

for that cost im sure one of the Jersey boys would come over and help for beer...

Edited by Casey.T

Yeh we all have broken manifold studs (not cracked manifolds) mine has been leaky since...? Belts are super easy, hoses are too, plugs are easy as long as you have the right tools (a rachet with a long extension and plug socket) and wires are easy. You could do all that in a day for probably $100 tops. I would not pay that guy for any of those repairs, good luck bro :beer:

Edited by headpeace

I said "I need an oil change and work about 6 buildings up... but thres a ton wrnog with this thing so tell me everything that you can find" so they spent like 3 hours &^%*@$# around with it.

I'm going to try going to a Nissan dealership and seeing about the manifold problem, since I've got about 12k till 100.

96-98 pathfinders have a extended warranty on the exhaust manifolds up to 100months/100,000 miles. On your 97, yeah the manifold is probably cracked. You can always take the heat shield off and check for yourself. Everything else is not that hard. As for the engine cleaning, check your throttle body for carbon buildup. You can also clean that yourself.

I did some seafoam through the intake a few weeks ago, so that should be good... I'm going to head over to Cherry Hill Nissan today after work and talk to them about the manifold... Just dont know what to say. "Bitches, fix my exhaust" or "My R50 is covered under an extended warranty... wanna fix it?"

Walk in there with the warranty paperwork from Nissan.

Tell the service manager, that you have a crack in your exhaust manifold, and you expect them to honor the warranty, or you're going to call Nissan Corporate again.

Walk in there with the warranty paperwork from Nissan.

Tell the service manager, that you have a crack in your exhaust manifold, and you expect them to honor the warranty, or you're going to call Nissan Corporate again.

I went in, the guy ran my VIN... the recall ended 9/30/05 according to the computer (which he showed me, and was very clear)...

What now?