Distributor rotor

zonianbrat

Anybody have an idea off hand how often the distributor rotor should be changed? I changed my plugs when I did my t-belt change like 1500 miles ago but did not change the wires or cap or rotor now I hear a arcing sound coming from around #6 plug but I checked it at night and cannot see any arcing in the dark. So now I guess I should change the wires and cap and rotor. How difficult is it to change on a R50 I did a search and read something about some kinda screw on the VG30 engine just not sure if mine is the same any help is appreciated.

A little trick I was taught back some time ago. Start you vehicle and get a little mist bottle or spray bottle of water and set it to lightly mist. As you spray it around the wires in the dark and around places where the sparkplug cables are near to or touching. But don't pour a lot of water, just keep misting it. Look closely you will see the little blue arcs if they are shorting. or try rubbing a grounded probe along the length of each plug wire while the engine is idling may help you find any weak spots in the insulation.

Heres a little article for you. http://www.advanceautoparts.com/english/yo...20030801pw.html

Have fun and good luck. :aok:

I do mine at the same inteval as the plugs and cap. That way you know everything is new and serviced and ready to go. I have a '91 and all it is, is a small screw on the backside of the rotor holding it onto the shaft. I would imagine it is similar on yours.

Thanks guys I will be doing the wires,plugs,cap and rotor soon I figured I should have done all of it when I did my t-belt but I had already spent too-much $$ so I cheaped out and only did the plugs. I just was not sure if teh truck had to be at TDC or something before I took out the rotor. I have never messed with a distributor before so I have no idea what to expect. I guess that is why I bought a Haynes manual.. -thnkboutit-

Thanks guys I will be doing the wires,plugs,cap and rotor soon I figured I should have done all of it when I did my t-belt but I had already spent too-much $$ so I cheaped out and only did the plugs. I just was not sure if teh truck had to be at TDC or something before I took out the rotor. I have never messed with a distributor before so I have no idea what to expect. I guess that is why I bought a Haynes manual.. -thnkboutit-

The rotor only goes on one way, you'll be fine.