2006 HIDs

Guest Stormin Grey

Guest Stormin Grey

can anyone recommend replacement bulds that look like HID or purplish/blue? the OEM ones dont really light up the night on a dark road very well and I always have to high beam it :blink: ....I checked out ebay, but you never know what you're going to get.... any help would be great!! :D

Edited by Stormin Grey

WAVEY hello welcome to NPORA :beer: and if you want a good response.. post in your year specific forum or the garage or use the search function.. this subject has been covered a lot this year :):aok:

What you need to do is install new wiring and relays for the headlights instead. The stock setup isn't relayed at all, it runs the power from the fuse panel through the headlight switch and then back out to the lights in one swell foop. Hence the dimness of stock Pathfinder headlights. The "blue-white" or purple bulbs actually put out less light per watt due to the coating on the bulb, regardless of how shiny white the beam is. Humans see better in the yellow spectrum anyway. Also, don't fall for the 55w= 110W crap, if it's a 55, it's a 55. Read up here and poke around their website for more info:

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/relays/relays.html

Welcome!

As per 88's post, the Daniel Stern web site is full of great info.

Be warned that the choice of headlight bulbs will bring up much discussion, as noted by Slick, a lot of it contrary :blink:

I run GE Nighthawks in my 02, they are good, no coating, uniform light pattern (ie no hotspots). No cool blue tint but with all the rural night driving I do I prefer to see well rather than be seen as cool :P I gave up trying to be cool many years ago

:lol:

Guest Stormin Grey

wow.... thanks for all the info....i often wonder why Nissan doesnt put HID in their trucks.. I think only the Murano has them...im sure the upscale Infinity line does too...I wasnt trying to be cool...hehehe... :P i just wanted to be able to see at night... virginia doesnt believe in road lighting...or reflectors for that matter....or shoulders....they do like the ditches in place of the white lines, though... :crazy:

Edited by Stormin Grey

Yes $$$ is why most car manufacturers do not fit decent lighting unless you buy the top of the line.

I live in West Australia where the North West roads are very long and dark with plenty of wildlife and cattle to run into. A 6 foot kangaroo makes a big dent at 110km/h and the cattle often seem to stand on the road with their bum facing my way so you don't even see the reflection of their eyes. The expense of the HID lights has paid off several times over.

Its good that you dont have reflectors, my lights are so bright that I get a lot of glare from reflectors and have to dip or at least switch the spotties off when there are big road signs near intersections.

G

Guest Stormin Grey

gee.... I thought an occasional Veer-a-Deer was trechorous....but a Roo? :o

holy hanna...I do want to visit down under some day, though!! :D

Guest Stormin Grey

It came with the factory fog lights...together, it just doesnt seem all that bright :blink: ...I was thinking of putting on a westin bull bar wih aux lights for those superdark roads... they say "no drilling" for mounting the bar, but i dont want to get it and find out theres some major fab work necessary...and of course how would i wire the lights? hmmmmmm :shrug:

Now if you had a 6 volt car as your first, you would be loving the stock!

DO NOT get the blue bulbs - Application of a bit of physics would prove to you they are far inferior. But I won't subject you to it unless you really want me to....

Start with ading some driving lights in the factory holes in your bumper, will probably net you better results.

Driving lights (as compared to fog lights) are best mounted as high as possible, so using the stock holes that have the fog lights would not be the best solution. Although not practical, it is preferable they be at eye level to reduce glare back to the driver.

Fog lights work best as low as they can go, to cut under the fog and reflect their light off of objects back to the driver.