Forgot to replace cap on brake reservoir

dagwoodzz

The wifey is taking the pathy to her mom's today. short trip, but decided better check the oil before she leaves. haven't opened the hood in a while. The first thing I see is no cap on the brake fluid reservoir! P...

I did the brakes July 4th holiday, full three weeks ago! Lucky the wife didn't find out doing 70 on the I-55.

Anyway the screen filter was in place, so not too concerned about impurities, but lots and lots of rain and moisture. Anyone ever bled down the entire brake system? Does this need to be done? Feel free to take some free shots as well, I deserve it! P...P...P...P...

Yes, change all the fluid. Pull the screen out of the MC and use a Mityvac or turkey baster to suck as much fluid as you can out of the reservoir. Dump a little fresh fluid in there, swirl it around and suck it back out.

Now fill the reservoir and bleed the brakes like normal, pushing or sucking a couple tablespoons from each wheel.

I do this every 2-3 years on all my vehicles as preventive maintenance.

Ummmm..... yeah! Thank you for the compliment! :D

And a cheap bastard as well. I HATE buying new cylinders and calipers due to entirely preventable corrosion!

Root cause: Back when I was but a wee tike of 17 or so, I was seriously struggling with a brake caliper on my motorcycle. It just wouldn't release all the way. The pads were always squealing, the pads were wearing out way too fast, and eventually the rotor warped. Being a starving college student with absolutely no cash, it really, really sucked. Dissection revealed the root cause was corrosion in the brake caliper due to the fluid not being changed regularly. And the bike was only 6 years old.

So it was parked for a couple months until I could replace the caliper and rotor. Which meant I could no longer ride to the next town to visit the GF. So due to poor brake maintenance, I ended up with a broken bike and a seriously impacted sex life.... For some reason, that left an impression. And I've never let it happen again!

Ummmm..... yeah! Thank you for the compliment! :D

And a cheap bastard as well. I HATE buying new cylinders and calipers due to entirely preventable corrosion!

Root cause: Back when I was but a wee tike of 17 or so, I was seriously struggling with a brake caliper on my motorcycle. It just wouldn't release all the way. The pads were always squealing, the pads were wearing out way too fast, and eventually the rotor warped. Being a starving college student with absolutely no cash, it really, really sucked. Dissection revealed the root cause was corrosion in the brake caliper due to the fluid not being changed regularly. And the bike was only 6 years old.

So it was parked for a couple months until I could replace the caliper and rotor. Which meant I could no longer ride to the next town to visit the GF. So due to poor brake maintenance, I ended up with a broken bike and a seriously impacted sex life.... For some reason, that left an impression. And I've never let it happen again!

yeah mws no booty will do that to a guy :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

It gets worse, on the way home from work today I notice i picked up a vibration. oh well thought the second hand tires I switched out were dry rotted and falling apart. next thing I get a violent jolt and a tire is keeping pace with me down I-12.

I don't know what to say, i try to be safe, but these last couple of screw-ups have got me doubting myself. The tire crossed the interstate on-coming, luckily no-one was coming or got hurt.

What caused this? I swichted tires and rims, but kept original lug nuts. A week later i re-torqued the nuts and havent checked them since. To fix my pedicament I stole a nut off each wheel to get the tire back on. All nuts were loose except for 2 or 3. I never remember a wheel nut backing off in my life, but all of mine were loose.

all I can think is the nuts are not drilled all the way thru- The rims I swapped are thinner where the stude passes thru the rim. Prehaps the nuts are bottoming out on the studs and not pressing the rim to the hub if that makes sense?

before after

I'm also worried I may have fatiqued the studs. Should I worry about the condition 0f the studs. Again any help apprecieated. Might get a bus pass and check my life insureance. Starting to think the wife is doing me in.

Holy cripes, man! Glad to hear you're OK.

I'd make sure the seats on your lug nuts are cut correctly for the new rims (I couldn't tell from the photo if your old ones were OEM or not). If they're different they won't let the rim seat correctly and off it spins, but if you check them out and they're fine I'd start sleeping with one eye open. :unsure::D

Prehaps the nuts are bottoming out on the studs and not pressing the rim to the hub if that makes sense?

Perhaps, or what JJ said. I doubt it is the torque, but then you didn't use a torque wrench, did you ?? ;) Check the studs for damage (threads, straightness and seating in the rotor). If in doubt, replace it/them. It's a small cost to insure piece of mind and to keep your friggin' wheels on the truck !! I'm glad it was just a good story and not a tragedy... :beer:

B

but then you didn't use a torque wrench, did you ??

No, just used the 4-way. The next week 200miles later put another 1/8 to 1/4 turn on each nut again with the 4-way to make sure.

I've never had one nut come loose my whole life, I must of had 20 loose yesterday. Somethings not right.

Don't worry, she's parked til I'm sure. Not worried about me, but never want to hurt someone else.

(I couldn't tell from the photo if your old ones were OEM or not).

Pretty sure the old ones are OEM. They were pretty plain, just painted them gold.