The right combo?

diamondman

I'm new to the board but have been reading a lot of posts, tons of great information. :clap:

I've been researching the lift kits, wheels and tires for a few months now. Here's my question...

I'm ordering the A/C Lift for my 04 pathfinder this week. I was originally planning to put 15" helo's with 31" BFG MT's. With the lift, what would be the largest tires I could fit on a 16" rim without any other mods?

I appreciate any help you guys could give me...

Would 32x10.5 on 15x8's rub at all? I don't want to roll the fenders or do any other mods.

Could I fit 31x10.5's on 16x8's?

I found a 255/70-16 is pretty close to a 31x10.5-15 as far as outer dimensions. Just a scosche shorter in my case (like 30.5" diameter.) I use them interchangeably (A/T's on the alloy 16's, STT's on the steel 15's) on my '87 with just a bit of suspension lift.

With a higher lift, you may be able to fit a 265/75-16... They should be about 31.5" give or take a 1/2" depending on the particular tire.

Edited by mws

Thank's for the info guys. Any suggestions on wheels?

I like the 15" Helo Maxx6 w/the black finish. There doesn't seem to be much out their for 15".

In 16" I found a wheel by Gear that's real nice but I'm thinkin I can get more tire w/the 15".

What do you guys think?

chevy and toyota 6 lug patterns also fit our rigs just FYI...... i run chevy rims i painted black. actually.. i have 3 sets.

umm.. with 15x8's.. and a susp or BL. you can run 32's with no chopping of fenders or rubbing ;) and like CD said.... tires for 15's are cheaper..... if you want more tire n less rim.. get the 15x8's....... cheaper too -bounce-

Edited by Slick

:huh:

What sucks about the whole tire size thing is........most of the 33's ask for 10" rims. What's the widest and tallest tire you can put on stock leggo's? I'm still wanting to get the black crawlers though. Could I squeeze 33's on a smaller rim?

Would this setup work?

15x8 Helo Maxx 6 w/6x5.5 bolt pattern on 32x11.50R15 BFG AT's

I'm not sure the correct bolt pattern. Every wheel/tire site says that this wheel will not fit an 04 pathy.

Also not sure on the tire size for the wheel... just want to be sure before I get everything shipped.

i think there are a couple of guys here who run 32x 11.5's on 15x8's. i dunno about the fitment... i assume all nissan 6 lug patterns are the same..... just spline counts differ....which won't matter for rim fitment.........

The bigger challenge is backspacing and center hole sizes of the wheels. The bolt pattern IS the same as a GM, but GM wheels tend to have less backspacing than what is needed to have the wheels tuck within the wheelwells - as can be seen in the photo's of Slicks truck, the GM wheels will stick out further. This makes them more prone to rub the edge of the fenderwells during sharp turns. And we need the larger ID hole in the middle. Some GM wheels have a hole in the middle that are too small to fit on a Nissan.

The wheels that fit in are called "medium offset", and they are much less common than a normal offset.

But they do exist. My alloys are a less standard but still readily available Ultra Wheel 16x8.

Those are some gorgeous wheels.

What model do you have and what size tire are you running?

If I had the A/C lift with the 16x8's... what would be the biggest tires that I could fit? I wouldn't mind a bit of rubbing at full lock, just as long as it doesn't rub under normal conditions.

All this info is awesome... thank you.

most of the 33's ask for 10" rims. What's the widest and tallest tire you can put on stock leggo's?

I believe the basic rule of thumb for 'normal' sized tires is rim width not more then 4" (not less than 2" than tire width ?) I have 10.5x31" tires on the stock chrome wheels that are 6" and they work fine but are a bit pinched. Therefore the 11.5" wide tires would fit reasonably well on 8" rims. 32" is a good choice; if it rubs a little, it shouldn't take too much to correct.

Now back spacing is important... I believe 3.75" is the target but 3.5-4" can work fine also...

B

It's an 04 you guys, fenders and things are a little different.

First off, that's not typical bolt pattern. The new Frontys/Xs/Pathys have a 6x4.5" bp, and you pretty much have to run a 16" or larger. I dunno about the Pathys, but people have easily fit 285/75/16s on the stock wheels with the AC lift on Frontys and Xs. Just an FYI

So it is safe to say that going with 16x8 wheels, I could fit BFG AT LT265/75R16/D.

If those wouldn't fit, I would have to go to the next size down (LT265/70R16/D).

Anybody else running these combo's?

Also I really like the aggressive look of the MT's but living in New England I need good performance in snow. Would AT's be the most aggressive tire that works well in snow/ice conditions?

For snow and ice, you want to look for the "snowflake in a mountain" symbol. That means it meets an objective standard for snow and ice traction. Some of the better AT tires will earn it, most won't.

"AT" or "MT" or "M&S" are meaningless titles made up by the manufacturer.

interesting....

I've read that siping makes the biggest difference in snow/ice/wet traction.

I'm a beginner off-roader so I guess I don't need some crazy aggressive tire that will only perform in one or two specific areas.

I'll keep researching...

Edited by diamondman

Would this wheel fit my 04 pathfinder?

Foose Spank 6

Size: 16x8

Bolt Pattern: 6x5.5

they make two offsets.. 13 or 10

or

Gear Alloy 711 MB Modified

Size: 16X8

Bolt Pattern: 6X5.5

Offset: 0

I'm confused on offset and backspace. Are they the same? I know that the Helo Maxx have 4 3/4" backspace but at (http://www.tiresdelivered.com) they have a 0 offset. :blink:

Edited by diamondman

i remember reading in a tire upgrade thread about a tire/wheel upgrade for a vq r50 that we have to stick with 16" rims because of the caliper size. no clue on tire size. i am gonna get 255/70 for my 01, but i run a stock suspension.

i remember reading in a tire upgrade thread about a tire/wheel upgrade for a vq r50 that we have to stick with 16" rims because of the caliper size. no clue on tire size. i am gonna get 255/70 for my 01, but i run a stock suspension.

That's correct. You wouldn't be able to run a 15" rim without grinding down the caliper or some fun stuff like that. I'd stick to the 16" rims. Also, I wouldn't go with any more than 4.25" backspacing if you are going to use 265/75 16's. My wheels are 4.25" backspacing on 16x8 rims with 265/75 16 MTR's and there is very little space left between the tire and the strut. I also had to do some trimming of the inner fender to keep these tires from rubbing at full lock with the AC lift.

As far as backspacing and offset, there is a difference. Backspacing is the distance between the mounting surface of the rim and the inside edge of the rim. Offset I believe is the distance (positive or negative) from the center of the rim that the mounting surface sits. So on a 8" wide rim, 0 offset would mean 4" backspacing. Positive offset would be more backspacing (> 4" on 8" rim) which sets the rim in closer to the center of the vehicle. Negative offset will be less backspacing (< 4" on 8" rim) and will put the rim further from the center of the vehicle which will stick out from the fenders a little more.

I tried that, but found that a good sharp utility knife makes really quick work of the inner fender liner stuff on a warm day - when it's soft and pliable.

When the plastic is softer, the dremel doesn't cut it as effectively, but the utility knife can just slice right through it. It took me all of 2 minutes to trim my fender liners and lower bumper valance using a utility knife.

Took me almost a half-hour to cut the back out of the lower storage panel for my CB.