R50 diagnostic codes

zonianbrat

ok I preformed numerous searches with minimal results. How do I do self-deagnostics and get the error codes. i know it sounds silly but i do not know how to get my error codes or what i need to get them. I have never had to deal with them in the past as my past cars either did not have the capability or i just did not want find out what was wrong.

now now... let's play nice. It is not clear in that thread which year it is for. Obviously it lists the codes for the WD21's but the procedures do NOT match those for my 95. And, Z has a 97 which may be different alltogether.

it IS possible to read the codes yourself by using key position and the little dial on your ECU but the procedure is not straight-forward. It's contained in the EC section of the 97 FSM somewhere around page 49 or 50. Easiest way is to hit an autozone or someplace like that and they should read your codes for free.

The procedures for reading the codes on a 97 are very easy, the problem is accessing the diagnostic mode selector screw. The ECM is located directly above the gas pedal and tucked behind the dash. Once you've found that the diagnostic mode selector screw is located on the topside of the box. Use a small inspectors mirror to figure out exactly where the screw is and how to reach it. You'll have to lay on the floorboard and reach up with a small screwdriver bit, once you get it once you can do it easily by feel. You can also drop the ECM down for easier access.

My screw was covered with thick clear tape that had to be scraped away. Once you find it and can access it, turn the ignition key until the Check Engine Light turns on. Then turn the screw completely clockwise and wait 2-3 seconds, then turn it completely counter-clockwise and the Check Engine Light will flash on your dash with long and shorts. Record these numbers and then you'll need to convert the MIL numbers to P-codes, there is a complete list in the Haynes manual. To clear any codes repeat the steps and turn the ignition off.

The procedures for reading the codes on a 97 are very easy, the problem is accessing the diagnostic mode selector screw.  The ECM is located directly above the gas pedal and tucked behind the dash.  Once you've found that the diagnostic mode selector screw is located on the topside of the box. Use a small inspectors mirror to figure out exactly where the screw is and how to reach it. You'll have to lay on the floorboard and reach up with a small screwdriver bit, once you get it once you can do it easily by feel.  You can also drop the ECM down for easier access.

My screw was covered with thick clear tape that had to be scraped away. Once you find it and can access it, turn the ignition key until the Check Engine Light turns on. Then turn the screw completely clockwise and wait 2-3 seconds, then turn it completely counter-clockwise and the Check Engine Light will flash on your dash with long and shorts. Record these numbers and then you'll need to convert the MIL numbers to P-codes, there is a complete list in the Haynes manual. To clear any codes repeat the steps and turn the ignition off.

hey, thanks for that write up.. that's the most complete one i have seen on here regarding r50s code reading.. :clap:

ok I preformed numerous searches with minimal results. How do I do self-deagnostics and get the error codes. i know it sounds silly but i do not know how to get my error codes or what i need to get them. I have never had to deal with them in the past as my past cars either did not have the capability or i just did not want find out what was wrong.

WAVEYhttp://www.nissanhelp.com/Ownership/Pathfinder/Diagnose.htm WAVEY