Changing Brakes

ronin152

Going to change my brakes coming up here. What all exactly do I need to do this. So far I have come up with new rotors (www.stillen.com), new brake pads, and new rear drum shoes. Could some one fill me in on what I need for the rear drums. I know there are a ton of springs you have to replace and didn't know which ones could be reused. Also is there anything else I need for the front brakes I think my mechanic was talking about some type of shim or something? Thanks.

if you're not going to mention what year pathy you're talking about, at least update your profile to show you have an 03 Pathy now.

you don't need any extra parts to do your front/rear brakes. you could reuse your front wheel bearings, but it wouldn't hurt to replace them.

the springs on the rear drums do not need to be replaced. the only other thing to watch for is front bearing preload and setting your rear parking brake.

you could reuse your front wheel bearings, but it wouldn't hurt to replace them.

Unless the front wheel bearings are damaged, there's no reason why you should need to replace them. At the very least, repack the bearings with new grease, since you've got to remove the hub to replace the rotor anyway. You will need a pair of new inner bearing grease seals.

Edited by XPLORx4

you're right dean. i recently replaced my front rotors and reused my wheel bearings. i was thinking the wheel bearing is in the rotor (chevy style), but the rotor is bolted to the hub, which houses the bearing.

brakes are not as easy as other vehicles, but they're still not difficult. but if it were me, i wouldn't mess with the rear drums until they started getting noisy. :D

don't forget to clean out the slide pins on the front calipers. there is a how to thread in the garage section.

what part is rusted on the drums?

Tip: Be sure to 'scrub' your new brake pads and shoes, and to sand the rotors and inner drum surface to remove any kind of glaze or grease or oil or small imperfections. It will help the pads grab better and prevent any premature squeakyness.

the springs on the rear drums do not need to be replaced.

..and setting your rear parking brake.

Most places sell the rear drum replacement kit that comes with all the springs. Even if they don't need replacement, I usually just do them anyway. How often am I going to open up that drum? Probably not for a long while. When's the last time you changed your rear brakes anyway? The rears usually last a lot longer that the fronts.

I remember when I was hammering the crap out of the drum waiting for it to come loose, only to find out that I still had the parking brake engaged from when I jacked it up. What a fool.

Most places sell the rear drum replacement kit that comes with all the springs. Even if they don't need replacement, I usually just do them anyway. How often am I going to open up that drum? Probably not for a long while. When's the last time you changed your rear brakes anyway? The rears usually last a lot longer that the fronts.

I remember when I was hammering the crap out of the drum waiting for it to come loose, only to find out that I still had the parking brake engaged from when I jacked it up. What a fool.

i always use my parking brake, even on level ground; i use it to lock the rear wheels when breaking the lugs lose. i also always forget to release it when removing the drum. what i meant by setting the parking brake, is to make sure you adjust it properly so they actually do hold the vehicle.

since i bought my pathfinder, i haven't replaced the rear shoes. i've replaced the front pads probably a dozen times or so. they just don't wear very quickly. the last time i had the drum off, i saw i was getting close, but i won't worry about it until i can hear it. :D