1993 Pathfinder dash lights

Nay-Sayer

I have a 1993 Pathfinder with 190k on the clock. Recently it has developed a problem where the dash lights and tail lights sometimes will cut off. After some time they will work again. Anyone have any idea what's going on? Thanks.

Yeah I struck this in my 91, only each time it would pop a fuse. I'd second the short :aok:

IIRC it killed park lights (front and rear) and dash.

My 93 had the same issue. Turned out to be the dimmer switch, for interior lights at least. When you moved it you could hear crackling :ohmy:

Do you have front corner lights? If not, I bet it is your switch contact that needs cleaned. I think the proceedure is on the forums someplace for pulling and cleanning them. Basically there are 5 reeds 2 low beam, 2 high beam and 1 parking (dash, tail and corner marker) each with a contact on the end. Those contacts can get a carbon buildup on them and not complete the circuit well. Usually one of the headlight ones is the first to go. Some people just buy new rather than clean them, I've cleaned mine on my 93 twice in 7 years and it still works great, quick and easy, no $$ spent.

I tried searching and can't find a good post on it.

Quick how to:

1. Remove the bottom cover of your steering column (4 large screws, 2 small (by the switches)).

2. Remove the light switch (2 screws holding it in) and unplug it.

3. Take a flat blade screw driver and pry off 3 corners of the flat translucent plastic "cover" piece (look at the switch bas you'll know what I'm talking about).

4. now that the reeds/contacts are exposed, take some thin 100 grit sand paper and some contact cleaner and go to work (be very carefull when sanding, I usually stick the paper in then switch the contact closed on it and pull out the paper, takes a little time, but gets it cleaned).

5. flip the cover back over it and "pop" the corner pins back into it.

6. Put it back in place and the steering column back together.