Halfway Done...

jj big shoe

I figured since I was putting a new engine in, I'd go ahead and try to make a few improvements. I bought a compressor and some air tools (especially a die grinder) and a Standard Abrasives Deluxe Porting Kit from Summit Racing and went to town on the heads.

This gives you an idea of what I started with...

post-253-1187469705_thumb.jpgpost-253-1187469726_thumb.jpg

Take a look at the rough finish and casting marks on the sides of the exhaust port.

post-253-1187469746_thumb.jpgpost-253-1187469757_thumb.jpg

The same rough finish is on the intake as well, plus you can see how restricted it is compared to the gasket opening.

post-253-1187469781_thumb.jpg

The valve seats could use a little attention...

post-253-1187469807_thumb.jpg

Here's what I ended up with.

Intake - smoothed, edges removed and opened up to match the gasket.

post-253-1187469829_thumb.jpg

Exhaust - sanded and buffed, edges removed. *click the pic - its not showing up in preview for some reason.

post-253-1187469857_thumb.jpg

I lapped the valves to get a good seat on them, but I didn't do much else with the bowl since I don't have junk valves to set in it while I grind and I feel like I'm already pushing my luck near the valve seats anyway.

post-253-1187469875_thumb.jpg

Now that I know what to look for and what abrasive roll or stone to use I'll time myself on the other head just to see. I was doing a port at a time but that means retooling the grinder way too often.

Very sweet JJ. :clap: So does this mean you are willing to hook us up with porting and polishing at a NPORA members discount price?

That depends on what the "discount" price would be. Bear in mind that I'll have to cut Ali in on it since it'll be taking up her spot in the garage. :tongue:

Edited by jj big shoe

Any updates? Pointers, tips, how-to's used?
Not a lot right now. I've finished painting the block and I'm waiting to get my cams back from Schneider Racing so I can start putting everything back together. My neighbor should be getting his engine hoist soon so he can drop a new Ford GT40 crate engine into his Mustang. Once he's done I'll be borrowing the hoist and then the fun really starts.

As far as a how-to, there's really not much to it other than doing what people who know more than I do about it have described on the web already. Standard Abrasives has a good tutorial on their site and give you the same info in a brochure packed in their porting kit and www.redz31.com has some info too.

The only tips I have are to be sure to clean up you work area often to avoid inhaling so much of the aluminum dust (there's lots of it) and spray a little WD-40 on whatever abrasive you're using at the time. That will keep the aluminum from building up on it as quickly.

• 3 weeks later...

I just started porting mine. I only did the exhaust ports on one head. the only thing left for me to do is get rid of that ridge on the short side radius. Did you have problems with the SA cross buffs? I tested them out and they seem to be too big for the ports or compressor setting/die grinder is set low.

Did you have problems with the SA cross buffs?
Yup. Waay too big. I tried to use some Dremel pads (#511) but couldn't attach them to my die grinder so I cut the SA buffs down with tin snips so they would fit. Be sure to lower the output pressure of your compressor when using them. They're not balanced and will bend the aluminum shaft attachment if they spin too fast.

I did take some of the ridge out of the bowls on one head, but the casting ridge on the other is really pitted so grinding it smooth would probably lower the compression on that side so I opted to knock the high spots down and call it good.

Edited by jj big shoe

That's all I was trying to get across. Knock down the high spots and you should be good. Great work. You should get at least a little increase in power from a mild port job. Most of my experience is with Datsun L series sixes, and you can see a noticable difference with a mild port job. Hopefully the increase will be substantial with the aftermarket cams. What are the cam specs?

The cams are 262/.420". I bought a new set of matching springs, but I've been back and forth about the lifters. I know I should get a new set, but half the old ones look like they could be resurfaced and reused so I'm tempted *cheap bastid*.

Every little bit helps, but I think most of my HP "increase" will actually come from swapping out the 200k+ engine.

• 2 weeks later...

No, I got a set from Schneider that goes with cams. I also bit the bullet and bought all new lifters. Here's a couple updated shots of "The Great Pumpkin". I'm trying to get on with it and have it in before my planned wheeling trip in mid Nov. but we'll see. Every time I make plans that have anything to do with fun, life somehow seems to get in the way an eff it all up.

post-253-1191727707_thumb.jpg

post-253-1191727719_thumb.jpg

post-253-1191727749_thumb.jpg

post-253-1191727756_thumb.jpg