Grrrr I Hope I Got Lucky Here

Jarsiff

So i was going to start a thread with something like full brake job done, bearings repacked and looky at my new warn hubs but I've got something else going on now, I decided that while I had a couple days off theres nothing id like more than to spend two days working on the truck...I just wish it was adding parts and not maintenance but hey its gotta be done...so i cleaned the maf (which was pretty clean any how but what the hey) and cleaned the heck out of the TB (was a little gunked up nothing major) I was looking around in the tb hole and almost convinced myself just to leave it together instead of tearing into it for a heavy cleaning, then read that you have to take the whole plenum off to get to the pcv valve so i was like well it will make the plugs easier to change anyway so off the top came, not only did the stealership short me one gasket but im missing a screw in the third butterfly valve !!!!!! i tightened up 5 more than were a little loose but this one is no where to be found so when i finally got the lower plenum off (PITA!!) i carefully stuck my finger in the lower manifold hole and felt nothing...the things running fine and ive never heard any chatter except on cold start and its almost nothing...goes away when the engine warms (i assumed maybe exhaust manifold from the sound and how it went away after a few minutes..is it possible that the screw passed all the way through? I have no way to really dig any deeper and dont have a magnet or anything so i guess i have to see if i can get one screw or something cause i dont want to button it up with the screw missing.

Im getting married on thursday and were taking off for rest of the weekend in the truck now im a little bit nervous....

Edited by Jarsiff
  • Like 1

well i'll cross my fingers for that cause hopefully in a month or so i'll be getting my exhaust done and i might be able to shake it out and see, lol on my way now to the dealership to see if i can get a screw (huh huh literally sometimes) he said he didnt show anything for the pathy unless i bought the lower plenum as a whole but he might be able to match the screw from something else, so i have my fingers crossed there too...on a positive note before the cleaning and plugs i already noticed a slight difference in performance with the hubs and re-packing so im liking that :)

and by that i meant it coasts smoother and longer and picks up faster, not that i think I have more power now ;)

Edited by Jarsiff

Im knocking at 80k and boy did I dodge a bullet here, 1 was missing, 4 were very loose! can you say good timing to get in there for some cleaning? hehe I even had one of the plates rattling no wonder it wasnt running very smooth up top, the few times that I would giver some juice it seemed a little uneven at the top like something was missing. I went to the dealer to see about a screw and got a bag of 8 for the altima 2.5 which apparently theres a recall for but none of the other models. the parts counter guy was cool too he went out to the shop and put some lock tight in a baggy for me to take home. so the 2 and a half day total for me goes something like this: Full brake job,repack front bearings, Warn manual hubs, new gatorback belts, new fuel filter (beyotch), oil change, plugs, cleaning of the upper and lower plenums, clean maf, clean TB and boy does she run smooth now! went out to a country straight stretch and put my foot in it after all the nervous rechecking and she ran right up to 6k smooth as can be.....I love my truck :D

• Like 1

Does anyone else think that this should be a service recall?

Yes, I do, but at the same time I know it never will be. I had this SAME EXACT ISSUE with my 02 SE-R and went through 2 engine replacements as a result of it. Shoddy work is what it comes down to, plain and simple. The fact that the dealer "threw in" a thing of loctite for Jarsiff is just hillarious to me, because it means they KNOW what's going on.

Edited by navygz19

He also told me there was a recall for the altima 2.5s powervalve screws but I asked what about all the other motors that use the same screws? (especially since the ones he gave me for the alty are a perfect match for my 3.5) he just shrugged his shoulders and didnt know. I cant give him @!*% though hes like the only cool guy at that freakin place :)

I had to re use one gasket cause when i picked up the others i didnt know there was going to be that many and the guy didnt offer that info, I bought the TB, one of the uppers and the lower. all the uppers were 6 bucks each and the lower which is metal and rubber is 30. i'll get the part# for ya when i go back out to the garage.

the part number for the 8 screws that go to the alti are:

14511-8J00B

they come with washers on them which are kind of a pain to remove but need to come off.

Edited by Jarsiff
  • Like 1

ok well i just got back last night and holy crap the mileage!! i never thought it would improve that much, everything listed above got me at least 4 to 5 miles per gallon back! topping it off i left Eugene with a full tank got to Grants pass after going to the Oregon Vortex with just over half a tank filled again went down the redwood highway just south of klamath CA and then back up 101 to Oregon and didnt stop til Bandon, the next day went up to Lincoln city and filled again for the trip home, almost 850 miles on under 2 tanks, this with the ac on and cruising up hills 2500 rpm 55 to 60 mph....im pretty amazed right now :)