Cell phone holder install

k9sar

So, I got tired of my cell phone wandering all around on the dash as I drove.

First thing I did was pickup a cheap holder from Walmart

684669_17_full.jpg

Now to remove that stupid belt clip...

684669_18_full.jpg

I pulled off the felt covering the rivet and drilled it out

684669_19_full.jpg

Then some unstitching

684669_20_full.jpg

viola!

684669_21_full.jpg

Now to make room for my charger

684669_22_full.jpg

A little super glue to hold the loose threads together

684669_23_full.jpg

Drill a second mount hole and countersink both

684669_24_full.jpg

Using the holder as a template, mark and drill mount holes on your console piece (previously removed)

684669_26_full.jpg

A couple bolts, washers and locknuts...

684669_28_full.jpg

mounted view from behind.

684669_29_full.jpg

and the front. I also tooka black sharpie pen and colored the bolt heads to be black after this pic was taken

684669_30_full.jpg

Finished and installed. Easy to see, easy to grab, easy to charge.

684669_31_full.jpg

yup, actually, mine was a hand me down, when the mister got a new phone.

then we switched companies, and now I have a POS phone. (also free, and for good reason)

nice job man. if i had a holder like that i might accually remember my phone. I just let mine sit by my 4x4 shifter...and always forget it in the car ;p

that was the primary location for mine until a couple of quick right turns and then trying to get the damned thing out from under my feet while speeding down the road. Moved to the dash at that point but nearly lost it out the window one nice day.

that was the primary location for mine until a couple of quick right turns and then trying to get the damned thing out from under my feet while speeding down the road. Moved to the dash at that point but nearly lost it out the window one nice day.

haha, that actually happened to me when i had the doors off. i took a corner and my phone went flying out in the middle of the road in a busy intersection. luckily, i got it up before it got hit.

but that looks good, cool idea.

Nicely done!

But I have to issue a mild hiss at using a cell phone in the car. I am one of those that believe the stats that show drivers using cell phones are more likely to cause accidents than even legally drunk drivers.

Although I like to consider myself better than average (don't we all?), I still choose to avoid distractions and will not use a cell phone while driving. I have never caused a crash (25 years +) and actively try to keep it that way. When I was a teenager, I had a friend make a simple mistake that ended up killing a lady. Who had young children. It impacted her every bit as much as you could imagine. Had to drop out of college, broke up her engagement, pretty well f-ed her up mentally for decades. Seeing that left an impression on me as well because I take responsiblity for my mistakes. I would hate to have to live with that so I take operating a car pretty seriously.

And then 12 years ago an employee at my company crossed the center line and killed a motorcyclist because he was reaching for a cassette under the seat. F-ed his life up as well - legally and mentally.

In retrospect, I have not even been in a crash for about 25 years... And that one was someone rear-ending me at a red light. That got me learning and practicing defensive driving.

* steps down from soap box *

I'm with you 100% mws. Although I have the cell in the truck, I never talk on it while I'm driving. If I need to make a call, I pull over but it's nice to be able to glance down and see when I'm in a good signal area. If I get a call, I'll answer it and find a place to pull over. I have it mainly for emergency purposes so it is rare that I actually get a call. Came in handy when I was sitting on the side of the highway with my pathy up a jeep's ass.

Simply put... I carry it with me but the engineer in me said to do something more clever than velcro. I'm sure you understand.