My next mod

KILLVOX

So im gonna pick up the nicest hood that i can find at the junkyard,and im gonna put a hood scoop on it. What i need to know is will all the years from 87-95 fit my 95? And is there any advantages to cutting a hole in the hood so air actually flows through the scoop. Thanks.

aren't most of those just for looks and you apply them with the 3m double sided tape stuff?

i've seen some that look pretty good. i've seen others that get old and the paint looks all faded around it and just doesn't look good. i dunno though. you should try it. get a donor hood and see how it goes.

Most hood scoops are designed to allow air directly into the intake manifold/carb....but if all you want is the look, i wouldn't cut the hole in the hood.....the hole will reduce the strength of the hood causing it to buckle and if you wheel through water at all...as FLApathy says don't hit the water too fast...it'll dump water directly on the top of the engine....

I really wanted to doit for the look and i didnt think about the water getting through. So i guess i wont be cutting a hole in the hood. The scoop does come with the double sided tape, but im going to screw it or pop rivit it down and then Bondo, prime and paint it. The whole deal. Thanks for the info. :cool2:

I found a nice hood from an 87. Will that fit my 95?

i cant tell from the pic wheather its plastic or metal but i can tell you this...it wont last long. since the air will have nowhere to go youll create a tremendous pressure inside the scoop. if you use the tape...its only a matter of time before it fly's off. if you rivet it and bondo it in...if its plastic youll be seeing cracks in your filler in no time...and if metal a short while later. i know this becaue those people that mold in those fake roof scoops (like the eclipse from TF&TF) ALWAYS experience cracking in the filler or fiberglass. if you ran the air (such as cutting your hood) somehwere you would greatly cut down on the pressure buildup.

if you want something truly functional, get or cut some small vents/louvers into your hood, or put a small riser on. both will creat neg air pressure and actually help to draw out hot air from your engine bay. for a lil cheap riser mod i have heard of people putting small spacers on the hinges at the back and it rises up a lil to give you more space at the back. i cant honestly think of too many hood scoops today that are actually functional. most are blocked off right at the front. and unless you have a carbed pathy, you wont get the ram air effect. but i see your a 95 so thats completley out.

my suggestion is to just move on. in my personal opinion...if its not functional..dont waste the money on putting it on..but thats just my .02 but if you REALLY wanna do this...i suggest either cutting your hood or cutting a lil out of the back of the scoop to where air can escape. that stress is gonna be the #1 killer.

yeah something like that in the pic and what every everybody else has said, DSM_guy was right, the air blowing it off and putting spacers on the hinges kinda like a cowl induction hood to suck the heat out would be cool, i was thinking of ways to take heat out and thought a hood scope would be the best way but not a forward facing scoop, something that makes neg pressure like the cowl induction, or i could run a snorkel like that patrol Vsickspathy posted awhile ago

I saw a Cherokee that had a set of hood louvers from an old Chrysler LeBaron on it. He said he could see the waves of heat coming out of them at stoplights and such, so I figure they're doing some good. Plus they looked pretty cool.

FLA, if you had a hood to hack around on and acess to a wire welder or good body man, you could make your own neg pressure scoop. here is an example of what im talking about. they are often referred to as "invader" style hoods. has a reverse cowl

integravs.jpg

as far as the scoop. the best way id know how to do it is get one thats made of steel..have your body man weld it to your stock hood, grind, fill, paint, but id still give it an outlet somehwere either by cutting the hood, or leaving the back open a bit.

Edited by DSM_guy

FLA, if you had a hood to hack around on and acess to a wire welder or good body man, you could make your own neg pressure scoop. here is an example of what im talking about. they are often referred to as "invader" style hoods. has a reverse cowl

integravs.jpg

as far as the scoop. the best way id know how to do it is get one thats made of steel..have your body man weld it to your stock hood, grind, fill, paint, but id still give it an outlet somehwere either by cutting the hood, or leaving the back open a bit.

I don't know about welding in this situation, as you could be looking at some warpage in the sheet metal over the course of the bead. But I'd also ditto the issue of cracking in filler, especially if you slam the hood down. I'd bet fiberglas would be stronger in this respect, but then its also a bit tougher to work with.

Regarding other stuff brought up: there was mention of spacers at the hinges to lift the rear of the hood up like a cowl induction type. I believe the guys at L&P did this for clearance on their supercharger install, although I can't seem to find it now on their site. As for who else tried scoops, Jim had them and was ready to go, but that was about the point when he dropped off the face of the earth due to his crazy life, and I don't remember seeing any follow-up.

Putting a bonnet scoop on the pathfinder bonnet is a PITA. There is an overcompensation of beams on the bonnet. I had to do a lot of cutting. My bonnet doesn't seem to be any weeker though so that is a good thing. I would only do it for an intercooler set up on a 4wd... but that is up to you. Mine is still a little crooked, I haven't been bothered to fix it. It works well and isn't falling off :)

dsc008031uf.th.jpg

i cant tell from the pic wheather its plastic or metal but i can tell you this...it wont last long. since the air will  have nowhere to go youll create a tremendous pressure inside the scoop. if you use the tape...its only a matter of time before it fly's off. if you rivet it and bondo it in...if its plastic youll be seeing cracks in your filler in no time...and if metal a short while later. i know this becaue those people that mold in those fake roof scoops (like the eclipse from TF&TF) ALWAYS experience cracking in the filler or fiberglass. if you ran the air (such as cutting your hood) somehwere you would greatly cut down on the pressure buildup.

if you want something truly functional, get or cut some small vents/louvers  into your hood, or put a small riser on. both will creat neg air pressure and actually help to draw out hot air from your engine bay. for a lil cheap riser mod i have heard of people putting small spacers on the hinges at the back and it rises up a lil to give you more space at the back.  i cant honestly think of too many hood scoops today that are actually functional. most are blocked off right at the front. and unless you have a carbed pathy, you wont get the ram air effect. but i see your a 95 so thats completley out.

my suggestion is to just move on. in my personal opinion...if its not functional..dont waste the money on putting it on..but thats just my .02  but if you REALLY wanna do this...i suggest either cutting your hood or cutting a lil out of the back of the scoop to where air can escape. that stress is gonna be the #1 killer.

Right on the money with that one!!!!!

If you don't have an inter cooler, which i know you don't, spin it round the other way so it draws hot air out of the engine bay.

Just don't do anything stupid like this:

YUK!!!!

Edited by Diesel Boy

I don't know about other parts of the world but I recently found out in Australia (western australia at least) it is illegal to have a rear facing opening in your bonnet. As far as I can make out the reason behind this is if you have a major leak under the bonnet it can spray onto your windscreen which would be bad.

integravs.jpg

yeah something like that, this is what i was thinking

Hmm. But if a power steering hose burst or an oil feed to a turbo........

But the chances of that happening???

Sh!t does happen though. :D

And for the rainman......... See how long you last without putting your wipers on in bad weather. Yeah, I know it's not as bad as oil but you get the point now, surely. :rolleyes:

wheelman maybe a whole @!*%load of captain obvious's urine could come flooding out from underneath the bonnet and hinder vision.

Obviously water coming from underneath the bonnet isn't going to be a major issue but there actually are other liquids under there...not just a hunk of metal with cylinders that go up and down.

I don't make the laws I'm just letting people know how things are in the corner I am from.

What if you got your windows open and your coolant comes out? Dunno about you petrol people but my thermostat opens when the coolant is at a spritely 85 degrees celsius. You want a drop of that in your eye? :rolleyes:

I saw a Cherokee that had a set of hood louvers from an old Chrysler LeBaron on it. He said he could see the waves of heat coming out of them at stoplights and such, so I figure they're doing some good. Plus they looked pretty cool.

This is kinda what i was talking about

100_0554.jpg

100_0537.jpg

lebaron_1985.jpg

The ones in the pictures don't look as good as the one I saw, but you get the point. If you're trying to dissipate heat from under the hood, they'll work fine and IMHO will look a lot more trick. I might do it when I paint the Pathy.