My next mod

KILLVOX

Sorry for pointing ot the obvious but I figured wipers can clear any liquids off a windshield not just water. The authorities in Australia or whatever are crazy.

Are you saying that in jest or are you serious? If you're serious put some oil on your screen and take a little video of your magic wipers at work. I'd love to see how clean it gets. :mellow:

oooh.. I like that scoop on the hood of that aptrol. I also really like the new hoods/scoops toyota came out with on the new 4 runners.. very beffy without looking stupid :aok:

*** Engineer popping his head in the room ***

On most vehicles, the area at the base of the windshield is actually a point of HIGH pressure, not low pressure. In a simplified way, the air kinda stacks up as it hits the windshield and gets diverted up.

This may not be true on vehicles with really laid back windshields or well developed aerodynamics.

To get a low pressure zone to remove heat while moving, putting the opening closer to the middle of the hood would be better for vehicles from the "chipped brick" school of aerodynamics - vehicles like our pathys!

And based on my experiences, the only approaches that will look good (aka crack free) for more than a couple weeks are:

- Weld on steel. Takes skill, and lots of short welds to prevent warpage.

- Bond on with REALLY good prep and technique. Good stiffeners on the underside will help.

Hoods flex a lot, and that leads to the cracking. So you either have to do it right, or let it "float" with tape on installation. Which ends up looking way ghetto rice.

Have you considered some kind of "shaker" arrangement? It's actually easier in the long run. Make the hole in the hood bigger than the scoop, and then mount the scoop to the engine, or just on cross bars across the engine compartment. No connection to the hood = no cracks!