MOOG Products?

Trialsin26

i got Moog tie rod ends and ball joints and they look pretty nice, tie rods seem beefier, they came with grease zerkers so you grease them up later. they come with a limited lifetime warrenty. so yeah they are good in my book

• 1 year later...

Bump.........

On the topic of strut replacement..... I'm ready to order a set of GR2 struts for my 01, I have gathered that it is wise to replace the strut mount and bearing as well. I have come across differing opinions on the boot. There are boots, boots with bump stops and people using no boot at all. If i don't buy the boot do I still need bumpstops? Are there advantages to any particular combination? Are there any parts I haven't mentioned that I also need to replace in the process?

I've got half a boot on each of my struts....lol.

When I replace me struts this weekend, I'm replacing the boot. It makes sense to, especially if you drive off-pavement. Dirt can get down into the strut body and screw stuff up.

I'm about to upgrade to KYB Struts and OME springs. Question? I want to go ahead and replace the strut mounts. Are Moog products good? A friend of mine who has a ford says yes. How about on Nissan?

I gotta say yes they are good...I work at federal Mogul and make Moog ball joints...lol..

I used to consider Moog products the benchmark.

But.... I just bought new tie rod ends for our tow van. And one was defective out of the box - the brass colored backing plate was not properly inserted and sealed into the body of the rod end body. It was actually weeping grease while in the box. May have been a wierd fluke, but it still disappointed me to see it.

I didn't have time to get it replaced as it was a Sunday and the only place open was a Napa, so I installed a Napa end instead.

I will send a note to Moog to let them know.

My springs have arrived. Its a nice kick in the pants to order my struts. Still unanswered is the question of bumpstops. Do I already have them stock? I would look, but since i don't know what I'm looking for or at that really doesnt help. Do I need to replace them.... or add them? Is it something I can do later? Or does it need to be done with the struts off?

I use Rock Auto all the time.

Service has been very good.

They are like your everyday parts store, but online. They sell top shelf stuff, and some crap stuff. So caveat emptor.

Also, watch shipping carefully! They are not a massive mail order retailer like Summit. They take your order, and then relay it on to their distributors who ship it to you. And they pass on their distributors shipping costs. So if the struts come from one warehouse, the bearings from another, and bumpstops from yet another, your shipping costs can get outrageous. But your shopping cart will reflect actual shipping costs before you check out, so as long as you pay attention, it is all good.

Bumpstops........ My assumption is that they keep my struts from clunking hard at full compression or wait ... do they stop the clunk at full extension? I need suspension education here. Additionally, can anyone expand on replacement cycle, and if they arent integrated into the boot are they still something that needs to be replaced with struts off? Do I have seperate bump stops on my 2001 stock? Or is it an add on? anyone care to explain?

Re. Rock Auto:

For a company that doesn't focus on web service that Java part finder was kick ass and fast. I only ordered the strut mount/bearings this time so shipping was simple. But I will keep that multi-distibution point stuff in mind for the future.

Edited by Sierra Cement

There should be an upper bumpstop to help limit upward travel and a lower bumpstop to cushion downward travel at the extreme ends of the suspension travel limits. Under normal use bumpstops are not a concern, only when you max out the suspension upwards or downwards through articulation. They should have nothing to do with everyday driving. The bumpstops should be above and below the lower control arm somewhere in there. I'd have to look at a FSM to see exactly where, though. I don't have first-hand knowledge of R50's. If your struts are making noises while driving normally, they're probably shot and need replacing.