HEPL PLEASE I think my timing belt broke

Hello so i was driving home yesterday at lunch tim and my pathy just died when imwas driving so i pulled off on a back road . When i trien to restart is spun over like there was no compression. just wondering if the distributer would still turn if the belt was broke?

please help thanks much in advance

Nope, it will not turn. The dizzy runs off the left camshaft. Belt breaks, no turn dizzy. I assume you have the cap removed and are watching it while you crank? Now for the bad news, if it did break the belt, you bent some valves. You can try slapping a new belt on it, but damage is probably done. You can either put new heads on it,rebuild the current ones, or drop a replacement motor in. Timing belt interval is 60, 000 miles on your rig. Any idea when it was changed last?

hey thanks for the quick response ya i hand a 91 plymoth laser that did the same thing. i figured i have bent valves. do the timing belts on pathys ever slip?

is it true that the 3.3l from a 96 -04 pathy will work in my 92

You can swap the 3.3l in. There are multiple threads here on it. I had one timing belt jump and the replacement broke shortly after due to my ignorance of not replacing the tensioner pulley. My engine is still good! I have to count my blessings though.

hey thanks for the quick response ya i hand a 91 plymoth laser that did the same thing. i figured i have bent valves. do the timing belts on pathys ever slip?

Well, not so much slip, but teeth shear off if the belt is ignored too long. The 3.3l swap gives you much longer maintenance intervals and more power. As stated, there are several threads on how to do it and what you need.

is it true that the 3.3l from a 96 -04 pathy will work in my 92

I'm pretty sure the VG33 was only used in pathys 1996-2000 and 2001 to 2004 was the VQ35...

B

i was doing some reading on this swap and some one said that you nees to swap the crank is this true?

also pulled the tranny andethe engine yesterday that was fun

Mr.510 makes a crank pulley so you can keep your stock accessories, it's pretty cheap for what it is and I plan on using it when I do my vg34 build.

He doesn't come on this forum anymore though, so just do a EBay search. His seller name is Mr510 as well I believe.

He doesn't come on this forum anymore though, so just do a EBay search. His seller name is Mr510 as well I believe.

I already linked the listing in my post :aok:

The VG33 uses a different belt setup than the VG30 and the crank pulleys aren't interchangeable, so if you get a VG33 and want to use your existing accessories you have two options: 1) swap the crank and oil pump from the VG30 into the VG33, or 2) put Mr. 510's adapter on the end of the VG33 crank to make it accept the VG30 pulley. The adapter's a lot easier. It does mean you're running with no harmonic balancer, but these engines are apparently precise enough that this won't hurt anything.

So no, you don't have to swap the crank.

The reason to look for the X or Fronty engine is that the accessories are mounted in a way that'll fit the WD21 engine bay. I think a couple people on here are running the VG33 accessories. Keeping the old accessories would save the hassle of reworking the lines (P/S and A/C) and wiring.

Check this out: :clickdalink:

hey thanks for the link. i am going to do the mr.510 adapter pulley . i was wondering about headders i would like to put the doug thorley headders on but all the ones i find say they dont fit with a 5 speed tranny. And a big ? i have is do i use the injctors from the 3.3 or the 3.0?

dose any body know what headders i can use on my pathy with a manuall trans? i think the doug thorley headers are for auto only please let me know

I haven't heard of a header restriction based on transmissions, but then I wouldn't know. I'm sure someone with a manual can tell you one way or the other.

I want to say the injectors are the same but I could be wrong. I've read that the fuel rails are the same, so if the 3.3 injector plugs don't match your harness, the 3.0 plugs should slot right up.

Thorley says auto tranny only, but I know for a fact people have installed them without issue on manuals as well, I just can't recall who right now. Thorley also says they can't be used on trucks with a lift, but I have a set on a 1995 with a 2" lift.

IIRC, people go with the VG30 injectors as that is what the ECU is set up for and they can handle the 10% over. Please verify by searching/researching but I'm pretty sure this is the case.

B

thanks the only thing is that i just bought a neyw factory style exhause with a cat so will it be pointless to pay that kind of money for the thorly headers?

i mean will it restrict the flow too much

and thank you for the info on the injection system im just wondering because the engine i bought has the harness and ecu with it

Please do verify what I said though, I haven't done it myself so I'm just going by memory from what I read. I believe nefarious did the VG33 swap (as well as many others) so he would be good for varification.

Is the exhaust the stock diameter? 1&7/8" IIRC? If so, I think you would loose a lot of the benefit of the headers as most people run 2.25-2.5". One option could be to resell the new exhaust, I'm sure they rust out all the time back there...

B

• Like 1

has any one heard anything bad about the pacesetter headders? i was thinking just run those for now till my exgaust goes bad again. it has been loud as long as i have owned it and i use it for hunting in the fall and it would be nice to have it quite it is also my daily driver

well the vg33 should be here this week i also ordered a 6 bolt puley adpt. from mr. 510 so i can use all me acc

so if any pne has any tips for making the swap go smoother let me know thanks

hello again so i am trying to get a list of parts that i will need to replace on the vg33. so far i have parts to get from nissan t-belt kit, front and rear crank seal. and from local auto store i have to get water pump, all acc. belts, pan gasket, intake gaskets, t-stat/gasket knock sensor, maf?,tps if you guys can think of anything let me know because i only want to do this once

thanks for all the help so far guys