What fluids are used in trasfer case

dan5ktq

:yeahthat:

FSM Actually shows 80W90 for diff's, but 75W90 is close enough if you can't find 80W.

The only thing to make sure, is.. read the diff fluid bottles. Somewhere on there there should be an API reading. Make sure it states API GL-5.

You can buy the same fluid (80w90) in GL-4 which is not the same fluid and will damage stuff.

Also make sure it says for LSD, but I believe if it says GL-5 it will also say LSD.

Capacity's are:

front diff - 3 7/8 pt / 1.85L

rear diff - 5 7/8 pt / 2.8L

transfer - manual - 2 3/8 qt / 2.2L

transfer - all mode - 3 1/8 qt / 3.0L

Does LSD or open diff change what fluid should be used? :scratchhead:

Must use LSD additive if LSD, additive will not affect open diff but regular GL without additive will damage LSD. Play it safe and use LSD safe GL if you're not sure.

cool thanks for the help! Also where, other than the dealership do you buy the transfer case filter and is the filter the drain for the fluid or is there some other plug somewhere?

There is no filter for the transfer case. Just fill/drain plugs.

Must use LSD additive if LSD, additive will not affect open diff but regular GL without additive will damage LSD. Play it safe and use LSD safe GL if you're not sure.

Thanks for the info! :aok:

I know for sure I have open diffs so LSD gear oil is still okay?

Thanks for the info! :aok:

I know for sure I have open diffs so LSD gear oil is still okay?

there is no harm in using LSD oil in an open diff becasue there are no friction specific parts to damage.

CAN ANYONE see any harm in running redline MT90 in the TX10 instead of ATF?

We've had this discussion before.

MWS took a look at the design of the gears and t-case in general on WD21's. Early WD21's specified gear oil in the t-case (mine had gear oil in it when I bought it and the FSM says gear oil as well) while some later ones used Dexron III. The manually shifted TX-10 t-case design wasn't changed, so it looks like you could run either kind in the t-case.

We've had this discussion before.

MWS took a look at the design of the gears and t-case in general on WD21's. Early WD21's specified gear oil in the t-case (mine had gear oil in it when I bought it and the FSM says gear oil as well) while some later ones used Dexron III. The manually shifted TX-10 t-case design wasn't changed, so it looks like you could run either kind in the t-case.

I can confirm that the transfer case can use gear oil, but be aware that you cannot use the same oil you would use on the differentials. Although they may be similar weight, they are different types of oil. According to my FSM the manual transmission needs API GL-4 gear oil, the transfer case can use either API GL-4 gear oil or Dexron III or equivalent A/T fluid, while the differentials require API GL-5 gear oil.

I prefer to use gear oil in both the transmission and transfer (one less type of fluid to worry about). I have been using Redline MT-90 (75W90 API GL-4) in the transmission and transfer case for almost two years with no problems. I also run Redline 75W90NS gear oil in the front and rear differentials (API GL-5 without friction modifiers, since I replaced my LSD with an air locker). As you can see both gear oils are of the same weight (75W90) but for different applications.

Edited by arcano

I can confirm that the transfer case can use gear oil, but be aware that you cannot use the same oil you would use on the differentials. Although they may be similar weight, they are different types of oil. According to my FSM the manual transmission needs API GL-4 gear oil, the transfer case can use either API GL-4 gear oil or DEXTRON type III or equivalent A/T fluid, while the differentials require API GL-5 gear oil.

I prefer to use gear oil in both the transmission and transfer (one less type of fluid to worry about). I have been using Redline MT-90 (75W90 API GL-4) in the transmission and transfer case for almost two years with no problems. I also run Redline 75W90NS gear oil in the front and rear differentials (API GL-5 without friction modifiers, since I replaced my LSD with an air locker). As you can see both gear oils are of the same weight (75W50) but for different applications.

So DexronIII ATF will work in the t-case? Well, that's good to know. :aok:

I'm going to try your approach and run Redline in both diffs. I plan on doing air lockers both F & R and have heard good about Redline fluids. :happy: