Block Heater

If I recall correctly, the heater is in the middle or rear of the engine on the drivers side, half way up, right below the heatshield. I pulled the cord out when I put my engine in, and should probably go hook it up. It's -13C tonight, and starting to get cold. Feel around for the prongs (like the back of a philishave razor) if the cord is missing.

I will take a look in the morning to see where it goes.

I had to find the cord and uncoil it, it had never been used as the beast was from Vancouver. Must have been quite the shock when 1 month after I bought it, it was in -34 temps.

I'm not sure about all the Nissan's, but I know the Sentra's that were sold in Canada came with engine block and battery heater, heated mirrors, and daytime running lights standard. The ones sold in the US didn't. Engine block and battery heater are accessories.

I wonder if your Pathfinder was originally bought in the US?

On my 2001 3.5, I can't find the power cord for the engine block heater. Did they all not come with one? If I do have one, can anyone tell me where the cord might be hiding? Thanks

My 96 (Canadian model) came stock with the block heater installed but not the block heater cord. When I asked I was told that the block heater came installed from the factor for certain markets (Canadian and ??) but the heater cord was done at the dealership. I was told $50 for the cord and $100 to install the cord at the local dealership. I just happed to find a factory nissan cord in the local craigslist adds for $10, some guy bought it and never got around to installing it before he sold his truck. I install it myself and it was a huge PITA!!! On the 3.3L engine the block heater is located on the driver's side of the engine at about the mid point, under the manifold. You can remove the wheel and try to get your arm up in from that angle or go from under the engine at the front. I went from the front. I had dropped the plastic skid plate to do an oil change and had my oil filter removed, I reach in from where the oil filter would have been and had my arm snaked in there up to my armpit and had to use the small amount of force I could muster in my fingers to try and push the cord into the block heater to connect it. In the end I got it done for $10 but my arm was in some serious pain...

So I took a look at my 3.5: it is on the drivers side, it appears to be under the AC pump, so quite far forward but with the skids on, it is hard to see the exact spot.

WRONG:

Here it is, from the service manual:

BlockHeater.jpg

Looks like there may be 2 of them, one on each side. The drivers side is at the rear.

Edited by Trainman