Sign in to follow this  
5523Pathfinder

How to change your timing belt!

55 minutes ago, Cuong Nguyen said:

It's attached to the power steering bracket. 12mm

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Thanks! I found it after clearing away enough oil and dirt.

On 10/21/2016 at 4:44 PM, k9sar said:

what stud? lol.

Img_1337-vi.jpg

no, the stud is there for the tensioner spring. no roller.

Hello k9sar,
Is this your engine?

Did the stud for the tensioner spring sheer off?

What is all the the black fluff from????

Thanks!

Hi Everyone, 

I have potentially a dumb question. I am getting ready to change my timing belt. It will be the biggest item I have done to date and I want to make sure I know everything before I start.

On the VG30E I know you need a crank puller to take the harmonic balancer off but do you need to take all the bolts off as well or just the big crank pulley bolt? 

The bolt in the middle is the only one holding the balancer to the crank. The little bolts hold the crank pulley to the balancer. Mark the orientation of the crank pulley to the balancer before removing it so you don't put it back together in a different orientation and lose your ignition timing marks! It's been a while but I think I removed all the bolts, got the pulley out of the way, and then bolted the duck's foot puller to the balancer.

On 1/12/2021 at 3:11 AM, Slartibartfast said:

The bolt in the middle is the only one holding the balancer to the crank. The little bolts hold the crank pulley to the balancer. Mark the orientation of the crank pulley to the balancer before removing it so you don't put it back together in a different orientation and lose your ignition timing marks! It's been a while but I think I removed all the bolts, got the pulley out of the way, and then bolted the duck's foot puller to the balancer.

Thanks for the reply! I guess I am unclear as to the reason for taking them apart. Unless I am missing something, it seems like it would be better to keep them bolted together and just remove both as a whole? As for the timing marks, don't you align them with the mark on the cover and there is a key on the crank to keep the marks aligned so as long as they are set correctly before you remove them they should install them same way? Sorry if I am asking the same question over again.

It was a while ago that I did mine, so I don't remember, but I probably separated them just in case the pulley caused a clearance issue on the way out, or in case I dropped it, or to inspect the rubber part of the balancer. I don't remember bothering to separate them again when I took it all back apart to replace the crank seal I skipped the first time. (Don't skip the crank seal.)

If you don't remove the pulley from the balancer, then yeah, the keyway means the crank and balancer only go back together one way and your timing marks will be in the same place when you're done as when you started. If you do remove the pulley from the balancer, those two aren't keyed to each other, so you can install the pulley the wrong way around on the balancer if you're not careful.

1 hour ago, Slartibartfast said:

It was a while ago that I did mine, so I don't remember, but I probably separated them just in case the pulley caused a clearance issue on the way out, or in case I dropped it, or to inspect the rubber part of the balancer. I don't remember bothering to separate them again when I took it all back apart to replace the crank seal I skipped the first time. (Don't skip the crank seal.)

If you don't remove the pulley from the balancer, then yeah, the keyway means the crank and balancer only go back together one way and your timing marks will be in the same place when you're done as when you started. If you do remove the pulley from the balancer, those two aren't keyed to each other, so you can install the pulley the wrong way around on the balancer if you're not careful.

I see, thanks for the clarification!