need for wheel alignment after new struts ?

1996 SE 4X4 , auto , 122k miles .

finally got to change my front stock strut to a KYB strut ..used the factory coil .. was such a B**** doing it alone outside in 100f temps .. i am going to do the other strut next weekend..

question: do i need to do a wheel alignment after changing the front strut?

also, had to jack up the wheel hub/spindle assembly so the upper stabilizing bar link bolt would fit the hole/bracket in the strut .. is this correct ?

Edited by IndianRider

No, you don't need an alignment.

Not sure what you mean about having to jack up the spindle. If it all goes back together correctly and looks the way it did before you took it apart, you did it right.

everything did go back together ..

upon installation of the new KYB strut, there was about a 2 inch distance between the "upper stabilizing bar link bolt" and its bracket on the KYB strut..

hence i jacked the the lower control arm assembly from underneath to compress the strut so the bolt would allign with its "bracket" on the strut .. (Haynes Repair Manual - page 10-6 , Fig. 3.2b, Part labelled B in the pic) ..

i should have not said "spindle" i actually jacked up the whole lower control arm ..

heres is what i did to remove the old strut. removed wheel, removed the 2 big bolts that attach the strut to the spindle, removed the upper bolt of the stabilizing bar link and removed the 3 upper strut mounting nuts in the engine bay ..

i DID NOT remove the lower bolt of the stabilizing bar link nor did i remove the stabilizing arm itself hence maybe the 2 inch difference in allignment upon installation of the strut ..

Edited by IndianRider

can anyone please post a pic of the 1996 pathfidner front strut assembly please .. i have doubts on how i reassembled the strut bearing and top mounting assembly ..

actually a service manual pdf the strut replacement procedure will be really helpful ..thanks in advance ..

For doing that much suspension work, I would definitely recommend an alignment.

I installed KYB GR2's as well (110k) without doing anything to the control arm and it made a world of difference, I definitely neede an alignment...

Best suggestion would be, drive it on a flat, smooth freeway, let go the wheel and see what happens.

:oops:

It's really up to you. When I installed my KYB struts and OME springs up front, I had an alignment done, and comparing the alignment sheet before and after, they were fine before. I basically ended up paying them to go "your alignment is fine."