Is GL-5 MTF safe in a '97?

ntwrkguy1

I read the sticky about the TSB for trans issues affecting the brass synchros in manual trans pre-'96 Pathys, but is GL-5 safe for a '97 manual trans?

I purchased some Valvoline 85/90 gear oil, and noticed that it was GL-5. Should I be using that to change the fluid on my '97 manual trans?

And while we're on the topic, how exactly do I get the old fluid out?

Edited by ntwrkguy1

Sorry, but I have no idea for a 96+... I'm sure it has been covered in the R50 section, and if V says GL-4, I bet he knows...

That said, I'm fairly certain GL-4 won't hurt a tranny that can use GL-5, just the other way around... Not much help, eh ? :shrug:

B

Yes. In fact, I just stopped by Advanced Auto Parts at lunch. They had Mobil1, Valvoline, and some brand called Accel (not the plug wire people either!), and they were all GL-5.

What's really funny is when you ask for GL-4 at the counter, they all say "The GL-5 stuff works just the same.". Uh. Yeah. Right. :)

Most of the parts counter guys are just that....they're trained to think that a higher number is necessarily better. It's not. They have very little, if any mechanical knowledge/experience. I do not trust what they tell me, as 98% of the time, it's flat out wrong.

I definitely agree with you there. Occasionally, you get someone who's fairly knowledgeable, but not often.

So, since I seemed to have exhausted my local sources, should I just bite the bullet and order Amsoil or Redline online?

Ummm...@!*%.

My trans has had GL-5 for a year now. :X 15k miles so far, and the shifting sucks.

The Mobil-1 place changed it...I'm going to make them buy me a new trans!

They'll just read the bottle and tell you to take it up with the oil manufacturer. If the bottle says "GL4, GL5 compatible", that basically releases them from all interest in damages caused, even if they did the service.

They'll just read the bottle and tell you to take it up with the oil manufacturer. If the bottle says "GL4, GL5 compatible", that basically releases them from all interest in damages caused, even if they did the service.

Hmmm...I think you're right. If I don't sell it I'll just put some Redline synthetic in there. Thanks!