cold air intake

mattd123

i put on a cold air intake and shortly after my check andgine light came on the mechanic said the high flowing air de calibrated the engine and burnt out the mass airflow sensor what can i do to have it work correctly if i have pep boys for example install one will the make sure everything is tuned properly

Hmm, I'm not sure how a higher air flow would 'burn out' a MAF... :shrug: Read the ECU for codes. Check to see that the MAF is is working order, check the electrical connections. Replace/repair if necessary. Reset the ECU and drive it...

B

no no i went to a mechanic and he told me the high flow filter threw off the computer i told him thats whack (inlight of a swear) i told him the o2 sensors in the exhaust burnt out wich they do on a 9 year old car so i think if they get replaced and then i go to pep boys or a speed shop and get one intalled it will be fine. I dont think the airflow will burn out a resistor because thats not how it works the codes coming up link to the emissions from the exuasht sensors and i have a code reader for my laptop so you guys are right i think they are giving me the run around. Sorry about my spelling i have my wisdom teeth out and the pain medicine isnt really making me feel so hot i hate it percs are not fun they leave my head in a fog and alls i want to do is drive but i dont dare drive while taking these meds

An aftermarket air intake should not trigger a check engine light unless something is leaking or connected wrong, although sometimes an over-oiled K&N filter will coat the MAF sensor wires and make it read wrong. The engine can suck a light mist of oil out of the filter and coat the MAF wires lightly. A new air intake will not "burn out" O2 sensors or MAF sensors. O2 sensors slowly accumulate soot and carbon and eventually do not work right anymore, that's all. An O2 sensor works at exhaust temperature, you're not going to get any hotter than that.

I'd clean your MAF sensor first. There is a sticky post in the Garage: How-To section on how to do that. Check the wiring plug for the MAF sensor for looseness or poor connections. The air intake AFTER the MAF sensor should be AIRTIGHT. Any leaks after the MAF sensor will give a CEL and make it run funny.