Bigger radiator for '87?

mws

Seems the stock cooling system could barely keep up with the 115 degree temps last week..... It never overheated, but I did have to pay attention and drive smart to keep things in check.

In the interest of making a "darned good" truck into a "close to perfect" truck I never have to worry about, I'd like to put in a higher capacity radiator.

I currently have the stock '87 V6 with MT radiator. It is the original, but in exceptional condition (no visible corrosion, plugging, or blooming) as it has been serviced regularly. Already running 60/40 mix with water wetter and flushed the living daylights out of it last winter so I've taken it as fas as I can. I'm sure just a brand new radiator will provide some improvement, but as long as I'm going to spend money, why not go for even more?

I already have an electric fan so I have lots of room for a much deeper radiator.

Anybody research and find easy bolt in replacements with significantly more capacity?

Like from a later model Pathfinder?

Or how about from A/T model? Are they larger to compensate for the need to provide more cooling

Or a radiator from another vehicle that requires minimal fabrication?

All ideas welcomed!

Not sure if this is going to help you but my buddy had a 87 k-5 blazer a while back it was lifted & stuff but it truly was a piece... It always was running hot, he took it to the mechanic several times they flushed his cooling system replaced his thermostat and ran all kinds of tests and everything was working properly but the truck would still run hotter than it should then another buddy told him to make an airdam. just a thick piece of rubber or plastic that hung down in front of the tranny, to force more air into the engine bay he did it and it worked until he blew the engine trying to get unstuck!!! I am just throwing something out there.. If you have skids this probably would not work.

Call performance shops and get a price on custom or standard sized three core aluminum rads. They're NOT as expensive as most people make them out to be.

Yup, been looking into them as an option, but haven't found any that are specified to be near bolt in to Pathy's. All would require fabrication. Not a problem for me, but thought I'd check if anyone has done it already and found an "easier" solution. Many stock radiators are available for as little as $100 through Rock Auto.... If one of those slipped right in, BINGO!

As B mentioned to me a couple weeks ago, I really don't HAVE to take it on to myself to reinvent EVERYTHING! :wacko:

A buddy of mine got a 60 something four door Nova for free back in high school. The first time he got it started it turned out the radiator leaked, A LOT. So he did what any smart redneck would do: he went down to pick n pull grabbed the largest radiator he could find and held it in place with bailing wire. :wacko: Crazy but it still runs and AFAIK he hasn't had any problems with it yet (well with the radiator at least, the TWO speed automatic on the other hand... :rolleyes: )

Hmm I wonder if the Auto radiator is bigger. I'v never had any problems with mine it can get a little warm at low speeds on hot days but never to the point that I'd start worrying... :shrug:

Research so far indicates aftermarket uses the same for autos and mannys. There are one row and two row versions available.

The Spectra Premium CU314 is the "bolt in" two row version. I've found it for just over $140 locally, or $120 mail order.