2001 need for exhaust

Guest spamman

Guest spamman

Hello. I bought a 2001 5-spd SE about a year ago and now at 42K miles the rear section of the exhaust came loose. My wife drives it mostly with our 2 small boys. So, I want to pretty quickly fix the problem. Nissan quoted me stupid money for 2 sections. I looked at it briefly and I assume I can clean up the flange and place on a rear section. Oddly the truck sounds the same with/without the section. My questions are:

1) Can someone e-mail me or link me to a diagram of the exhaust system showing the blowup of parts?

2) Can someone suggest a performance catback system for this truck?

Thanks a ton. Peace: e3

Guest michaelanderson20

Yes, here is a picture. I think this will help you out. I have a better one, just let me find it. 3617610.gif

I also have another one that is better, just let me get it. The only performance systems have been custom so I can't help you there, but I know someone else can.

Edited by michaelanderson20

Did it come loose just because or is it rusty?

There are some good performance options. rmd0311 or something had an '01 and he got an exhaust shop to fab up something. A search may turn up his setup.

Oddly the truck sounds the same with/without the section.

That's because the Pathfinder has two mufflers- the main muffler (under the rear passenger seat) and the exhaust "resonator" behind the rear axle. The "resonator" (which I believe is the section you're referring to) doesn't do as much sound muffling as the main muffler.

If you would like a performance cat-back system, get a quote for a cat-back Flowmaster 50-series or Magnaflow muffler from a local independently-owed reputable muffler shop.

I had a Flowmaster cat-back installed (actually just replaced the original muffler and exhaust pipe behind it) for about $300.

Edited by XPLORx4

Guest spamman

So basically this shop will install a new flowmaster muffler (the one under the passenger seat) and then bend some new pipe from that to a tip out the rear bumper? (no resonator). Is the sound considerably louder? My wife will be driving it most of the time.... Does it pass inspection? And (sorry for all the questions), how does it look coming out the rear bumper?

Finally I assume a shop would know the right muffler to select with 2 inputs, 1 output.......?

It looks like section #12 below came off (no flange left on the section - and rusty).

Yes, ask the shop to install a new "quiet" performance muffler and bend some exhaust tube for you. Some models of performance mufflers are louder than others. Be sure they choose a correctly-sized muffler. If a duel-inlet single-outlet model isn't available, ask them how they would combine the two inlets into one and whether their strategy would result in exhaust restrictions and why/why not.

Then, just make sure they route the tailpipe so it exits in the same location as stock (or to your preference). It should pass inspections no problem, provided that the tailpipe ends near the edge of the body, not under the chassis somewhere.

Guest spamman

Cool. Thanks. I know a place near me. East Coast Custom Exhaust in Framingham, MA. New place, might do a little haggling. I am lucky enough to do the starter motor on my MAxima tonight. yeah! Thanks for everyone's help. Oh, any suggestions on a muffler for this truck? Decent sound and good performance? Thanks! Peace: e3

Cool. Thanks. I know a place near me. East Coast Custom Exhaust in Framingham, MA. New place, might do a little haggling. I am lucky enough to do the starter motor on my MAxima tonight. yeah! Thanks for everyone's help. Oh, any suggestions on a muffler for this truck? Decent sound and good performance? Thanks! Peace: e3

Flowmaster Delta 50-series.

Hey., same thing happened to me at 69k on my x-01... I went ahead an got a full CAT BACK custom made and select a throaty muffler. You can always select a quieter one.

Here is the post of when I originally posted it...

http://npora.ipbhost.com//index.php?showto...8998&hl=exhaust

I loved it and got a good 1-1.5mpg more per gallon

The prices I got back them was $500 for the setup I went with which was stainless steel. If I would have gone with Aluminized, it would have been $330.

This is NY though, maybe it could be cheaper by you.

Edited by rmd0311

Guest spamman

Cool I got a over the phone estimate of under 500 for stainless and a flowmaster. I was looking at either the:

50 Series Delta Flow

or

50 Series SUV performance

Do they make a muffler with 2 inlets and 1 output? I may also have them do the muffler and tip on my 97 Maxima the same day and work out some deal. That car NEEDS a muffler at 143K miles.

On my Flowmaster it was a single in/out and the guy at the shop just built a custom Y pipe. I'm not sure if Flowmaster makes any dual in setups.

Found this from the site, however, it doesn't show a Pathy as a fitting application. But it's dual in, single out...

50 Series SUV

Guest spamman

Why would 3" outlet be bad? Should not have any backpressure issues. Maybe thermal issues?

I stopped by the shop on my way home and the owner and I discussed the exhaust. Basically a delta 50 with 2 inlets and 1 outlet, SS tubing to a nice rolled SS 4" tip. Then I showed her the maxima and made a 2 car deal so that same day, the max gets a nice performance muffler and rolled SS tip as well. Both vehicles for $450 total.

I asked her what the delta 50 sounds like and she showed me her truck with duals on it and started it up and gave it a good rev. Sounded real nice. Probably deeper than my 3.5l 6cyl but nice anyways.

I am looking forward to a driveway full of mean sounding cars. Lets see if the wife minds........

You guys think my check engine light is on due to driving without the section after the muffler for the last 7 days?

Guest spamman

Got the truck back tyhis morning. Nice sound. They did some nice work too. The delta 50 is a pretty good sound. Not alot top end sound but nice rumble around 3K rpms. I picked it up at 11:30 am, drops our 2 kids in (1 and 3 yr old boys) and the 4 of us went to a 3yr old party. I gave it a good rev as we pulled up. Holy crap is she embarassed. I am not sure she likes it but when it comes to cars, I at least make that decision. others = all hers! Thanks for everyones help. Like I said for $450 total both my max and path have solid nice sounding SS catbacks. The place is in Framingham, MA called East Coast Custom Exhaust. No website, just starting out. The girl that owns it ran an exhaust shop for years in Boston. Peace: e3