Very bad news

Pathfinder-jay

Well as most of you know my project has been going on for a bit over 2 months now... now the last week has come and the guys working on my truck have dissapeared... ... I heard stories about issues with landlords etc... but this is just insane... I dont know what to do. I called the cops and they cant do anything told me to wait out a couple more days but its really not like them to dissapear for 5 days now. I cant find any contact info accept his cell but its not picking up so Im getting pretty worried... all the time and money and my truck is stuck in there....The garage next door had a 9000$ car stuck in the paint booth aswell so im not alone...

Anyone want to come up to canada and help me finish her up :help: :help:

Ive literly dropped almost all my money on this project... im 19 and going to school full time and this is not helping the cause.... could really use some advice...

I mean ive tried 411 to find his address but his name doesnt seem to be real. IM very worried... and as all you guys know im a nervous wreck as it is when it comes to my truck...

Edited by Pathfinder-jay

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

that sucks...im sure as long as you have the title to the truck and what not you will get it back b/c i dont think the landlord could withhold that b/c it wasnt their property

i would try to find/contact the landlord let him know the deal and he might work with u on getting out knowing u got screwed too....

lesson learned:

never pay some1 up front in full and have good references if at all possible (although this sometimes doesnt always keep u from getting stuck b/c people do things that are unpredictable)

hope u get it all worked out

well thats good my dad did on some home improvement stuff and the guy did it half assed and left hot wires laying in the attic which shocked the @!*% outta my moms electrician friend when he went to cut it out after he hit the main breaker b/c the guy ran it strait from the powerlines

but i feel ure pain...just dont give up it'll all work out in the end...that sounds like crap that happens to me

I would call the police and report it stolen. Tell them the story. Legally speaking the Landlord is holding property that belongs to you. I don't think it would be grand theft or anything, but they might have a way to allow you to legally enter the property to obtain your stuff.

I would meet the police at the shop with a chain and a side grinder.

See if they would let you make entry on the property if you promised to secure it when you left.

Well I went back to the shop today... no one showed up again... camped out all morning till noon. I spoke to the cops they cant do anything. I got in contact with the landlord and now he said he cant do anything cause they are on a 12 month term and that they havent payed in awhile so he has his lawyer working around the clock to get them kicked out. I have contact a family lawyer and hes working on getting the authorities to open the door for me.

Its not the truck im worried about its finishing the job... no other place around wants to take it in.... I need help. All the time and money spent on the truck and I have to move it somehow... not an easy task

Jay

Not to say "I Told You So," but did you do any research on the people who would be working on your truck before you handed it over to them?

I would be extremely wary of a guy who just gives me a cell phone number as his only contact method.

Somehow, I'm not surprised at all....that friggin sucks though and I hope you get it all taken care of.

If I was still in NY, I'd make a trip up there (been meaning to visit my family in Montreal anyways)....and....well.....yea.

i would be more worried about not having my pathy and some squirrly people disappearing.... have your lawyer get a warrant to enter the premises to get your truck. have him point out to the landlord he is the owner, therefore he is an accessory, lease or no lease.

when he kicks them out, he also kicks your pathy out.... but kicks it to where? you need to get it out asap.

if they come in the dead of night to moonlight outta there.. what's to stop them taking your pathy?

if they haven't paid their lease, i am sure the landlord can get an immediate eviction notice or something?

any idea if the guy with the $9,000 car knows what's going on? i am sure he wouldn't be too pleased, which means extra back up on putting pressure on the cops to let you in.

report the pathy stolen if nothing gets done to break her out of there.

how much work is left to do on it?

Ha thanks alot bud. Well I got them to show me their diplomas and I have their office number and cell number and names, business cards and alot of other information but they dissapeared like I said...

If anyone wants to drive up I got a cozy pull out bed and a lot of real good beer... hehe

A fun project ahead....

Things left to do:

-Install passenger side inder wheel well

-Install radiator support

-Install both front fenders

-Finishin installing main floor

-Replace back floor

-Replace rear peice... where bumper protects

-Install gas tank

-Install gas lines

-Install 2 brake lines

-Finish painting frame

-Paint the truck

-Put carpet in

-Put seats in

-Put dash in

-Install rocker panels

-Put front windshield back on

-Install new bumpers

-Install Tire Rack

-Fix fuel pump wire

Bah....... :shrug: :help:

ok that was kinda my situation all the time...its time to figure it out on ure own (not being negative about it)

heres how i'd approach it

Things left to do:

-Install passenger side inder wheel well (hold off on this for now)

-Install radiator support

-Install both front fenders (this is not hard just like 10 bolts i think)

-Finishin installing main floor (not quite sure how bad they hacked it up but pop rivits?)

-Replace back floor (once again a temp fix?)

-Replace rear peice... where bumper protects

-Install gas tank (easy enough if the rear floor is mostly missing)

-Install gas lines (find a diagram and start running them)

-Install 2 brake lines (shouldnt be too bad if you have the lines already bent)

-Finish painting frame (krylon? or rustoleum)

-Paint the truck (can wait a long time mines been waiting 4 years now)

-Put carpet in (this can wait as well)

-Put seats in (bolt the drivers side in after u get the dash in

-Put dash in (get a diagram u can do this in a matter of 3 or 4 hrs)

-Install rocker panels (i think they could wait a lil while)

-Put front windshield back on (if u have the glass a glass co should do it for like $100)

-Install new bumpers (can wait or if you bolt them on take them off for later work)

-Install Tire Rack (if the stock holes are there just bolt it on but would wait till after paint)

-Fix fuel pump wire (shouldnt be too bad)

so pretty much i'd do what i needed to to get it running

my approach would be if i didnt have a welder or some1 with a welder either rent 1 from somewhere/buy one and start with some scrap metal and go thru some trial and error then start with things like the floorboard and hatch area bb/c it will be covered with carpet so if the weld looks like @!*% then so what...then once u start picking it up try the wheel well and rockers if not hold off on it and pay some1 to do it but i never welded b4 and i managed to weld in my floorpans in my scout the pass side looked like pure ass but the driver side looked pretty good for a 1st time arounder

(if u do install the gastank 1st be sure it has no fumes while welding b/c it might make it go boom)

then throw the carpet in and the dash followed by the front glass if you for some

then go with ure seats

bolt the fenders on even if the fender well isnt in yet it doesnt take long to get those on and off so it wouldnt be a big deal

do the brakes and fuel lines and what ever else just to make it drivable and take it as a work in progress

u can get it going it might just look like crap for a while but when push comes to shove you gotta do what you gotta do even if it scares the hell outta u and when u look back u'll say it wasnt that bad and be willing to take on the next project

Well i found the beeep beeeeeeep beeepp... you guys can fill in the blank lol.... I got his address via my lawyer... went to his house... he tried to pull some stunt of about vacation but he owes the landlord alot of money....i went to the shopt today and got all my stuff together and his employees are going to finish the job in daylight and im getting power from a friend who lives ontop of the garage... wish me luck i guess.... nothing is certain... very sketchy situation

Well anyways guys Im going to let the weekend go by... but come monday and I go no where to bring this truck im going to have alot alot of expensive peices to sell for cheap.

This project has rendered me broke, and if he cant finish the job im pretty much screwed for I cant afford to get it done anywhere else... I have no garage and no tools to finish it myself.

So if anyone needs any parts let me know ill quote ya.. :shrug: :sniff:

damn jay.. you can get'r done dude.. basic set of tools isn't too expensive.. you can have the tk back together in a few bustin' weekends, i am sure.. talk to the land lord guy.. tell him your situation.. maybe he'll let you finish it in there... if there is a will there is a way man.

Well said MZ.

Seems like this chap owes you some cash... Offer to take his tools for repayment. You can always just park the truck for a little while till you get things sorted out. Plenty of options man. I know it's disheartening, but don't jump the gun. :beer:

B

Well see the issue is the tools belong to the landlord... and the landlord wont turn the power on cause he owes him 21 000$

ther have to be some non electric tools in that shop.. you said you can get power from your buddy.. work it.. work it..