Problem #163........

Dowser

So I've been Driving the Pig that I cant Safety or Insure lately as I absolutely loathe the new pathy I bought from Edmonton. Not only does it have Defensemen Linebacker Fist size Holes in the rear Rocker/Quarter Panels, but as you may have read elsewhere on the forums, it also technically has no 5th gear as I'm too afraid to use it due to the High Pitch Whine I get when putting it in that gear. Putting all that Aside,

I'm now having a bit of trouble with Ol Reliable. In the last week or so, I started having trouble with torque in 5th gear. I would shift it into gear, step on the gas, and I would be able to maintain my speed, but my RPM's would rocket up. After a few minutes or so it would magically slip itself into position and then things would go back to normal. step on the gas, accelerate. Now....

Happens in every gear. From first to second, I shift, I get very minimul acceleration, and my RPM gauge will shoot up like I have it in Neutral, but I know Im not cause Im slowly picking up speed. Same from 2nd-3rd, 3rd-4th and so on. Also, Did a bit of testing when this was occuring and Yup, I can smell something a Burning when I rev those RPM's up and leave them at the 4k mark for a few seconds. I thought perhaps it had something to do with my LSD clutch or something sticking but now Im thinking its Clutch or Transmission related....

If i could just catch a break ya know. The Old pig was in bad enough shape as it was with the steering still a fuggered, the alignment completely off, the O2 sensor still not replaced as I havent had the cash to do a Cat and Muffler purchase, The 4WD is basically shot as everyt ime i use it i hear a lot of Banging and Booming coming from the front Diff that I can feel through the floor. And of course that real REAL loud terrible sound I get from the UCA area.... now this... I know what your thinking, Perhaps the fact that I drive it like taht without maintaining it iin the first place could have lead to my current situation, and I say to you good Sirs and Madams....

QUIET DOWN!!! I know I know... Just tell me what's wrong with it this time... Sheesh. :furious:

Dowser..... :oops:

well, it could very well be the clutch but have you checked the fluid in the tranny itself.. check to see if any is even there and then see what condition it's in... clutch could be slipping and burning up and since you said it does that in every gear then it makes me think that it could be an area worth investigating.

or we do have a sucker here but i think he wants an auto instead of the 5sp. oh well... :D

dry shift it for a bit and see what it does lol.

RPM gauge will shoot up like I have it in Neutral

definately sounds like ajust a clutch issue. id have a trans shop have a look see.

as per your 4x4 not working properly - you gotta be a bit more specific as to where the noise is coming from - could be wheel bearings or hubs?

anyways - its more likley a clutch problem although im stuck on why 5 doesnt "technically" work - definately take mz up on his advice and check fluids and condition of.

good luck let us know whats up

(oh whatever you do, do not go to the stealership for a new clutch if thats what this ends up being)

I check clutchs by putting it in 5th gear and try to take off. You may need to rev it up a little bit to take off. A good clutch will stall on take off, a bad clutch will slip and you will take off really slow. Try it and see what happens.

I've heard enough to say with 95% confidence it is a classic slipping clutch.

Replace the friction disk, pressure plate, and throwout bearing for sure. I would also strongly suggest a new flywheel. It sounds like it has been slipping for a while and quite a bit at times (the smell is an indicator!) so it is now a prime candidate for heat related warping.

Sigh... Well..... I'm Pooched then. I cant afford to fix a job of that magnitude, and I currently lack the information, tools, and ability to do this on my own..... For now anyway. And seeing how I can't even insure the bloody thing here anyway, I think thats the end of a love affair.

Whats a guy supposed to do. Here I have 2 Pathy's. 1 I love.... 1 I hate. The one I love is filled with too many issues to mention. The one I hate has a Beaten Tranny and Monster Holes in the Rockers and Quarter panels, and It's also starting to show wear on the clutch as it too is beginning to do the slipping clutch problem.

Throwing a For Sale sign on the Hated one this weekend and parking the thing till its sold.

The Pig I've grown to love so much will be my illegal daily commuter until I can once again, find another Pathy. I sure hope the Clutch lasts me until I get a new one., after that it can be a Parts Pig for the New and Improved Juggernaught. This Time around I'm gonna do it right...

I hope. :oops:

Dowser.

'Cos not everybody has a garage and a big tool chest and the time to do stuff themselves. It's simple economics...if it costs more than it's worth to fix, it doesn't make much sense to keep it. If you keep driving it until it goes out on you completely. you're screwed again in a different way. :(

WHOA WHOA WHOA!!!!

Hold on here..... I never said I wasn't going to be getting another Pathy.... I'm just selling a Lemon for a better less maintainance one. And on the Subject of my Original Pig That I love so much, she will always be my First Pathy Love, And I'll be keeping her around untill I have the Ability, Tools and Knowledge to Pull her apart into thousands of usuable pieces. :oops: What else am i going to do with a pathy I cant Safety. Trailer Queen Her, Tow her with another Pathy? I'd rather Take the new pathy and drive it off the Highway into a Swamp, up a rock face, and then back onto the highway. Soooo I figure by stripping her completely for parts, I can at least spread her soul into the Next Pathy I purchase.... Nothing But Nissan for me, Just maybe a 92-94....

Dowser

Edited by Dowser

What a Wonderful day. To make matters even more peachy, Today, I Burst a Brake line in The Pig I love while on my way to work. Just when I thought I was going to be able to put the one I hate up for sale, i get handed another shovel of sweet sunshine. I swear, if it wasn't for bad luck I'd have no luck at all. Going to attempt to repair this on my own but once again, with my luck I'll end up busting the master cylinder or something. Just once.... Once, I'd like something to just be easy. Are there actually people out there in the world that have lives full of one good thing after another or does everyone else swim in the same manky septic bed I Like to call "Life" :oops:

About the only thing that was Good today, was the fact that the Oilers won game 6 tonight. :dance::clap::aok:

Dowser :oops:

Damn Dowser, the Sheit God has been smiling on you lately, at least vehicularly... Don't feel alone though !! I've got a damaged Pathy, 2 projects vehicles and a rolling chassis that I'm trying to get sorted out.

after that it can be a Parts Pig for the New and Improved Juggernaught. This Time around I'm gonna do it right... I hope.

Thats the right aproach and now that you know what to look for/expect, you will do much better. Parting the old one and planning for the new seems the best way to go. Fixing a brake line shouldn't be a big deal, but I hear your pain about not being able to pass safety checks. There's only so much you can do thats within reason. :shrug:

I recommend a 94-95 pathy for the next rig if you don't live in salt country. Better interior and 105k mile timing belt change intervals... ;)

Best of luck Bro... :beer:

B