problem after running out of gas

leojharris

here's what's happened:

a week ago i ran completely out of gas; after filling up the truck ran like hell, wouldn't idle without stalling; rps dipping up and down to 0; ran fine at high accelerations and when flooring it.

a friend suggested i change the fuel filter in case junk got sucked up into the line and clogged it.

i did this and the truck ran like a new one; i also added a can of seafoam additive to help clean things up.

today, not a week after putting in the new filter, the truck is running freaky again, stalling at idle, sputtering, and noticeable *black* smoke during the sputtering points. smoke smells sort of like that additive burning or some other sort of slight chemical smell (not oil, to be sure).

the black smoke is what's different about a week ago ...

anybody have any suggestions on where to start digging? i'm going to check the plugs today.

also, another mechanic i know said the additive i put in might be knocking carbon loose from within the fuel system and this could be passing out of the system. does this sound possible?

thanks for any assistance,

joel.

Yup, Seafoam is pretty potent and it'll break up alot of junk and send it through your filter and out your tailpipe.

i'm not the most savy of mechanics, but is the above quoted text correct? by my reckoning, which is oft times way off btw, it seems like the additives affects would not impact the fuel filter.

i thought the flow through the gas through the filter would be something like this:

[tank] ----> [filter] ----> [engine/combust] ----> (exhausted)

if this is correct, how could the junk loosed by the additive affect the filter? want to make sure before i replace the filter again.

thanks,

joel.

Edited by leojharris

since it's in the [tank] it could effect the [filter]

ooohh, like busting stuff loose from inside the tank itself?

right ... i was stuck on thinking about the additives functions within the post-filter system, valves, etc. ..

will probably change the filter again just to be sure .

joel

I've never had a problem with it mucking up my fuel filter.

The effectiveness of the SeaFoam in the gas tank is to clean out the fuel lines and the injectors. It doesn't do anything for the valves running it through the fuel system. To clean out the valves, you have to run it through the brake booster hose which will suck it straight into the intake. Your engine will run like crap for a few minutes, and you have to hold the RPMs above 2,000 for a while until the smoke subsides, and then it runs fine. Don't forget to reattach the brake booster.

Another way to run it is to put it in your crank case, directly into the oil. Helps to keep the seals healthy and what not. Especially good to do if you've gone over on an oil change.

i'm not going to do it today, but may this weekend; can you tell me where the brake booster line is? i read about this on the seafoam bottle.

i've also got a repair manual that might tell me ..

it's a 95 XE that i'm working on ...

thanks for the input.

joel.

check out the plug i just pulled; what's up with that wierd notch down the middle of the contact?

I forget the brand but that is how they were made, just another attempt at a split spark path plug.

anyway, after checking the plugs and running the truck for another 20 or so miles, things seem to be clearing out of the system; i also put in more gas as it was running around a 1/4 tank, just to cut whatever remained of the additive.

it's running back to mostly normal now ... idle and overall running seems to be way 'smoother' than before ...

another thing i did was remove the cap from the cap/rotor assembly, the contacts in the cap had this wierd white flaky build up on them ... pretty thick and so i just sanded each contact till i saw silver. same thing for the arm contact on the rotor ... don't know if that contributed to anything or not.

another thing i did was remove the cap from the cap/rotor assembly, the contacts in the cap had this wierd white flaky build up on them ... pretty thick and so i just sanded each contact till i saw silver. same thing for the arm contact on the rotor ... don't know if that contributed to anything or not.

yeah it will. it clears the path much more. i do that periodically too..

mechanic i know said the additive i put in might be knocking carbon loose from within the fuel system and this could be passing out of the system. does this sound possible?

Basically... A strong additive will do wierd stuff. Everything from plugging the new fuel filter (your tank has 10 years of residual crap in the bottom) to running rough (injectors and cylinders cleaning, different emissions which may confuse the computer which tries to adjust...) Did you add the 'correct' amount ?? Maybe dilute with some more gas ?? Sorry, I see you did that...

Cleaning the distributor contacts will help, but you probably want to replace cap, rotor, wires and plugs all at once some time soon. It will run better and you will have a maintenence clock point...

B