Tires-How big can you go on an '01 SE?

Guest IndySPS

Guest IndySPS

My 01 SE is ready for tire replacement, and I want to go bigger than the wimpy stockies. I put over 200k miles on my '87 Pathfinder with 31x10.50's, and was shocked at how little clearance there is on the 01's. I am looking for anyone with experience with bigger than stock size-do they rub, etc.

Current tires are Dunlop P255/65R16.

Just another question around this:

I currently got a 265/70/R15"

You guys are running 16" rims

Would it be better(taller) for me to go to a 16" with 265 or 15" with 31's

Tire guy told me that he could do a 31"X10.5X15 as all the forums are saying as well.

I want to put a little more "space" between me and the ground without a lift, yet...

So here's my question:

Won't I get higher off the ground with a 265/70/R16" than a 31X10.5X15" ? :shrug:

Here's the calculation: (265 x .70) x 2 = 371 mm

25.4 x 16 = 406.4 mm

371 + 406.6 = 777.4 mm

777.4 / 25.4 = 30.6 inches

So with the 265/70R16's, your actual tire diameter would be 30.6 inches.

However, with the 31x10.5x15, the stated diameter is 31, but actual diameters are always less than stated. So both setups would be about equal. It depends on whether you want to get the new rims or not. Another thing to consider would be getting 265/75R15's instead of the 31x10.5x15's, they would be the same exact diameter as the tires you listed with the 16's. hope this helped B)

Thanks for the info

:aok: That's about what I figured. I think I'll probably go to a 265/75/R15 just so I don't have to change rims. I didn't realize that the newer Pathys came with 16" rims.

I have a set of 31x10.5x15 on my 97 stock rims. The problem area is in the front...any taller tire would rub the underside of the struts lower srping perch. Right now I am about 1" away from rubbing it with my 31's.

In order for me to go to a 32 or even a 33 I will have to get different rims with less backspacing which would move the whole tire out and away from the vehical.

The Tire Rack has a really great Tech area that explains just about everything you ever wanted to know about tires and wheels

Tire Rack Tech Center

• 3 weeks later...
Thanks for the info

:aok: That's about what I figured. I think I'll probably go to a 265/75/R15 just so I don't have to change rims. I didn't realize that the newer Pathys came with 16" rims.

It will actually depend on the tire you decide to buy...that is, if you wanted BFGs ATs, these don't come in a 265/70/15...you'll have to go either 30x9.50 or 31x10.50.

after I get my lift, I will be getting a set of rims and tires - but for the tires, I'm gonna go with 235/85/16's - that will give me 32" height with about 9 to 9.5" width... shouldn't have any issues with rubbing on the strut towers I would guess.

• 1 year later...

Some day I want to upgrade to 31x10.5x15 on my '96. What I am after is a wider

tire and wider stance for the pathy. However, I don't have flares so I don't want

the tires to extend more than flush with the outer wheel wells. A few questions I

have are:

1) Does the stock '96 pathy have 6.5" or 7" rims? (I don't know whether I have

the LE or SE, and I think this makes a difference...) And do the stock wheels

have a 5.5" backspacing?

2) What backspacing, if any, should I get with an 8" wheel? My guess is that the

larger 10.5 tire would be 1/2" further out (I have 9.5's now), and 8" rims would

add another 1/2"; I'm considering a 5.0" backspacing just so the tires don't

stick out too far, but don't want them to rub on the strut thingy either...

Any suggestions? :shrug:

Your wheels are 6.5" if they're the steel chrome rims (XE), 7" if they're the 6-spoke alloy wheels (SE). If you had and LE, you'd know it from the badge on the rear tailgate.

Anyway, I'm not sure of the backspacing on your wheels, but the best way to determine if 31x1050R15's will fit is to visit your local tire shop when you're ready to buy and have them try to fit on one.

An 8"-wide wheel will make a 31" tire stick out well beyond the edge of the fender, somewhere around 3/4". Positive backspacing on 8" wheels will be much harder to find. You'd be better trying a 7"-wide wheel instead.

I am after is a wider

tire and wider stance for the pathy.  However,  I don't want

the tires to extend more than flush with the outer wheel wells. 

I don't think you can get a wider stance without the tires sticking out past the body... 31 x 10.5s on chrome (steel) factory wheels should just squeak in at the width of the steel body panels. If you get aftermarket wheels, you'll probably end up with tires sticking out - I think all of them will change the backspacing and cause that.