Vent Controls Not Working

Guest Cantjump1

Guest Cantjump1

I just replaced my blower motor and that is working great, but only the defroster vents are functional. When I try to circulate air to any of the other vents, I get nothing. I think that whatever controls that system must be electronic, and perhaps it's toasted, but I don't know what that might be? Any advice...

Did you check the fuses?

Same thing happened to me when i accidentaly shorted out the cigarette lighter outlet, and the fuse blew out. It's the same fuse that runs the HVAC controls so it was stuck on whatever I had it last on.

Edited by Filthy Luker

I recall the damper door control to be a cable on my '87.... or was that another vehicle? No, I'm pretty sure it was the '87 pathy.

I suspect the end of the cable came off one end or the other.

It depends on which Pathy version it is. As per profile it's a 92, same as mine... on some SE models there was a semi-automatic AC option which had all electronic pushbutton HVAC controls. I have that one, if the fuse is fried your settings are stuck in the position you left them in. If it's a cable actuated system with sliding controls, then it may just be a loose connection on the slider.

If it's a cable actuated system with sliding controls, then it may just be a loose connection on the slider.

I have an issue on my 88 where the kinked end of the cable slips out of the toggle when trying to move to the right hand options (vent only, vent/floor, floor only). I tried to re-kink the wire once but it didn't work. What it actually does is the toggle moves, but the cable jumps out and slides through the toggle.

Guest Cantjump1

I just went through and checked fuses again. The one marked lighter was blown- since I don't smoke, I wasn't aware, and replacing it did solve the problem. Everything is working great ! Now I just need to charge the AC.