Entering deep water

89_trailboss

well, seems around here theres a fair amount of deep water. and ive always seemed to find my self stalled at the botom of a hole, deep ones that is.

so Im wondering what I should do to prepare for the next deep hole? Ive finaly got my snorkel working, ECU is in glove box, removed carpet so I dont have any bad smells, haha. Im working on wiring up an E fan, and am going to put a bead of silicon around the cap/dist. I carry a jug of oil and filter. what about the exhaust(2.5")

anything else?

alternator? i recently put silicon spray on mine and i havnt had it fail yet. its like $3 a can at autozone.

my old exhaust was bad because it ended under the belly at the y pipe. but if your down for doing a custom exhaust just make a new end and give it a downward angle...but its not neccessary because your stock exhaust is fine...

once youve realized youre stuck...dont gas it if your totally submerged because it created backpressure and (this has never happened to me or anyone i know) water can alledgedly get sucked up threu the exhaust to the point it damages things.

good luck and pics!

I would recomend opening every electrical connector and goop some dielectric grease in them. It will help in 2 ways; keep water out while in the water, fight corrosion after being in the water.

well my alt is already screwed. it just wont die yet.

my exhaust exits almost in the stock location, just a few inches under the truck tho.

and pics, I would have pics of my last encounter if my camera wasnt under my seat :unsure: the only time I bring the stupid thing and I cook it :angry:

80-90 gear oil specifically for lsd would be good. umm but why are u changing ur diff fluid...? u going to extend the breathers into the cabin?

the breathers are stil stock location. wouldnt I have water in the oil seeing there pretty low IIRC?

no windshield washing capabilities? how do you see when you get into a big mudhole....throwing mud and water up into your face????

i have lots of water in my truck...and only use it when necessary then when im done i just hit the first gas station up[ for the squeegie.

and ryan i see this all the time...ive yet to figure it out, whats IIRC?

Rear LSD, can I use just strait gear oil?

No, not unless you use the LSD additive. Don't leave home without it if you like your LSD... Hmm, that sounds funny... :D

1/4" inside IIRC

I seriously doubt it is 1/4 inch on a Jap car. 6mm maybe (.236") ?? As Max says, that seems large from memory :shrug:

89, pull a line and measure the nipple with calipers or mic's then convert to metric ;)

B