96 starting problems

yar1

So last night i went to leave and the lights in the interior came on and the doors unlocked, then i went to start it and the dash lights came and and when normally it would start everything went off,no lights or power,etc.

So i leave it and come back about two hour's later and go to see if it will start, when i try to unlock it its making a clicking noise above the DS tire in the engine bay. the locks still dont work and i try to start it and nothing happens, so i go to leave it and then the interior light comes on and i can start it. :huh:

any ideas? battery? loose wires? it's an auto btw.

check your connections (battery, power and ground...if no dice follow the ground back make sure its still good.)

next i would get onder ur pathy with a hammer and bang the sht out of the starter lol. im serious - jjust hit it. if after a couple hits it starts, just get a new one from a jy because thats your problem. i would say so push start it but its auto....if your battery is dead (and it will get that way when u try to start it with no luck over and over) just charge it back up. good luck lemme know if you need clarification on anything.

someone else who knows more than myself should feel free to chime in

check your connections (battery, power and ground...if no dice follow the ground back make sure its still good.)

next i would get onder ur pathy with a hammer and bang the sht out of the starter lol. im serious - jjust hit it.  if after a couple hits it starts, just get a new one from a jy because thats your problem.  i would say so push start it but its auto....if your battery is dead (and it will get that way when u try to start it with no luck over and over) just charge it back up.  good luck lemme know if you need clarification on anything.

someone else who knows more than myself should feel free to chime in

thanks for the reply :). now where would i be able to find the groundand power wires at? when it wouldnt start it didnt even try turning over, it acted like the battery wasnt tthere.

but u said u heard a noise - so that leads me to think its your starter.

could be your solenoid too. the fuse penl to the left of the steering wheel, open it. there should be 3 blue topped relays there. one of them is your ignition relay. check that (the 3 blue ones are interchangeable)

as for your battery ground - follow the black wires down from the battery until you come to its end. if that isnt connected....then its your ground. if the wire is uncovered at any point it could be touching something else and shorting it out.

let me know how that goes then if its nothing ive said yet ill think of it

then i went to start it and the dash lights came and and when normally it would start everything went off,no lights or power,etc.

That alone leads me to believe that you just have a bad connection on one of the battery cables... as Max said, check the connections starting at the battery. Can you twist the terminals on the battery's posts? If you can then tighten them up... but not before you remove both of them and clean the insides of the terminals and the battery's posts. (do this even if you cannot twist them)

If that does not work follow the black one (Negative) back to were it connects to the body and/or engine block and make sure everything is clean were they make contact.

Then move on to the Red (Positive) cable, that runs down he the starter.. make sure it has a good clean connection

but u said u heard a noise - so that leads me to think its your starter.

could be your solenoid too. the fuse penl to the left of the steering wheel, open it. there should be 3 blue topped relays there. one of them is your ignition relay. check that (the 3 blue ones are interchangeable)

as for your battery ground - follow the black wires down from the battery until you come to its end. if that isnt connected....then its your ground. if the wire is uncovered at any point it could be touching something else and shorting it out.

let me know how that goes then if its nothing ive said yet ill think of it

the noise i heard was from when i was outside trying to open the doors with the remote. i just went out to try some of these things and now it wont start agian, the started barely turned ,not a full revotlution and everything died again.

means ur batt is dead - anyway u can take it autozone for a charge? or charge it at your home with the $45 batt charger?

if you said it turned it means its prob your starter? im assuming u banged on it. what else do u hear?

thanks for all the replies, it ended up being the battery, i guess its the oriqinial nissan battery :o it will be replaced rpobably tommorrow

now the radio/clock doesnt work :huh: :confused: its an SE w/out the bose,the standard 1 cd radio system. the lights on the radio that illuminate the buttons come on w/the headlights, but pushing the on button does nothing. btw while the battery was dieing the radio was clicking/whirring. :help:

u have a fully charged GOOD battery in there now? what happened is every time you tried to start it - it thought u were turning it on, thus trigger the radio and then when it didnt start and you turned the key off - the "warning" beeps were going off -

if theres a good battery in there - i would check all the fuses and recheck your battery power/ground wires

the fuse for audio looked fine and the radio/antennae dont work with other 10A fuses.other causes? could the radio be fried?

the fuse for audio looked fine and the radio/antennae dont work with other 10A fuses.other causes? could the radio be fried?

I would change the fuse out with a new one anyway.. sometimes they can "look" fine and still not work. ;)

I would change the fuse out with a new one anyway.. sometimes they can "look" fine and still not work. ;)

i put the fuse for the rear wiper(which works) in the audio slot and it still didnt work,i did the same with the heated seats fuse which have never been used as my truck doesnt have them.

nevermind, it works now with some jiggling of the connections to the battery.what is the best way to clean this? the nissan battery left a bunch of corrision on the connections.