pulley noise

Guest blkpathyNJ

Guest blkpathyNJ

Hello there, can anyone tell me the best way to change a squeeking/rattling front belt pulley? Can the pulley be greased or do I need to install a new one. Also are any of the pulleys known to suddenly make alot of squeeking noise? The truck has the 3.3L engine, thanks in advance

Is it the top center idler that is squealing? Check that the bolt in the center is tight (not too tight though) if that's the one bothering you. It would be an easy one to replace if you had to. Only other one that really could or would squeal is the alternater, and usually means bad things going on and alternater replacement soon.

If it's just the belts squealing check if they are loose, if not try spraying some belt dressing on them.

I'm guessing it's the idler pully ? It may be the bearing it's self. Thats not hard to replace and the part will be pretty standard and easy to find. Try loosening the tensioner and spinning the pulley by hand. If there is slop in it, hard to turn or not smooth, it's probably the bearing (after you check the nut like gg said).

B