'92 transfer case probs, grinds when shifting?

gxl90rx7

Im looking to buy a 90-95 pathfinder 4wd, and test drove a 92 yesterday, but had some problems. I came to a stop to test the transfer case.. left it in D, tried to shift from 2H down to 4H, but it would grind. I tried putting it in N, and it still grinded. I got it stuck in N, and couldnt get it into a 4x4 mode without grinding, so i shut the engine off and tried again, and it started making some weird noises. Anyway, i eventually got it into 4H, and drove it back to the dealer.

Any ideas what the problem is? Could it just use a fluid change? It will shift, but it just is really finicky. He said he would take 2500 for it, i think hes asking too much. The bumper is dented, but other than that is looks to be in good condition for 191k miles.

Thanks for the help!

Edited by gxl90rx7

talk his ass down. that still seems like a lot of money for a car approaching 200k. i mean i know our vehicles are reliable, but i have a 95 near me with only 105k and they are asking 3500 for it....and the exterior is perfect. so i dont kno i think i would try and find another pathy.....

There is an entire thread about how to shift into 4x4. Search for it, if you cant find it, I will. That said, 2x4 to 4x4 can be done on the fly up to 40 mph or so. 4x4 to 4x4 low you have to stop and (I think) be in neutral for the auto... The transfer case is purely manual. Did the PO ever use 4x4 ?? It could be as simple as that... I say tell them to replace the transfer case oil and put in the right stuff (2.4 qts dextron ATF) so you can try it again... That costs $20 time and materials. See if it is better. If they have an issue with doing that, walk away. Does it have an aftermarket tranny cooler ?

Do you know the 90-95 range Pathfinders ? Do you need a basic checklist ? 191k is miles, but if it was maintained, it will keep running. $2500 seems top shelf though. I payed $5500 for a mint 95 with 110k on it in Cali. Where are you ?

B

Thanks for the help. i live in charleston, sc. I was hoping it would just need a fluid change, and i could use the grinding tx case to talk the price down. he originally asked 2800 for it. It looked completely stock. Are the transfer cases easy to swap out on these trucks? I am fairly mechanically inclined, im a big rotorhead, ive pulled and replaced the engine and tranny in my RX's several times..

again, thanks for helping out a noob. =)

Sounds like you can change the T case, but no, it's not the easiest and they can be pricey unless you find a wrecker deal... That said, few people have had problems with their T cases (most of the gears/cases are pretty strong). Without being there, my guess would be rotten fluid and it never being used... :shrug:

Don't yell at me if thats not the case... :D Grind it for him, then talk about the price. :beer:

B