NEED HELP ASAP - Dealer waiting for a call back...

rmd0311

So., left the car at the dealer this morning...

Things needed....

Alignment - They offered to aligh, rotate and balance the tires for 124.95.. Fair price?

VTC Sensor for the p1140 code 212.94.. Real HIGH???

Bumping in the back is NOT the stabilizer link is the exhaust system banging on the tow hitch. They want 800 to change it from the CAT back. ( HELLS NO)....

My concer is on the Sensor really? How hard is it to change a VTC... Need an answer ASAP please.

Edited by rmd0311

Alignment is way high. You can get a lifetime alignment, balance and rotate from Firestone for $150 (which is good for free checks and adjustments for as long as you own the vehicle, and the balance/rotate is good for as long as you own the set of tires on it when you originally brought it in), or a one-time alignment, balance and rotate from Sears or the like for about $80.

For a dealer, that's not a terrible price. I couldn't find it with a quick search online. Does that inclue labor, or is it just the part?

$800 for an exhaust is outlandish, but about right for a factory part. Just take it to a local mom-n-pop muffler joint. They do the best work in my experience. Generally you'll want to avoid the Midas' of the world.

allignement sounds reasonable. w/o rotation the dealer quoted me 100 for 4wheel allign.

what the heck is VTC.. not ringing the bell right now.

cat back is way too high.. search, folks have gotten it done under 200.

why would you replace the exhaust if its just hitting the hitch?

I'd say take it somewhere they can move it somehow, or live with the noise till you actually need new parts ???

(or am I misunderstanding?)

Alignment is way high. You can get a lifetime alignment, balance and rotate from Firestone for $150 (which is good for free checks and adjustments for as long as you own the vehicle, and the balance/rotate is good for as long as you own the set of tires on it when you originally brought it in), or a one-time alignment, balance and rotate from Sears or the like for about $80.

I called the Firestone by me... For the one time Rotate/Balance/Align... They want $120. For life (I'm probably changin the tires in a year or so) they want $226.

VTC is Valve Timing Control Sensor

Pezzy,

You are right. There is nothing wrong with it, its just banging the tow hitch. Let that @!*% bang all it wants. I will change with time, maybe something that helps with mpg if there is such a thing.

Thanks for the quick responses. Freaking warranty did not cover any of this. Will do the sensor and the alignment. The sensor itself is $85 dollars. Plus time wasted and my utter dumbness for mechanics, makes sense to let them do it. I will get the next one.

Final Tally::::

The dealer is charging me 124.95 for the Align/rotate/balance and 212.94 for the Sensor (includes labor).

This sucks... Through that on a CC till I can pay it off I guess.

I called the Firestone by me... For the one time Rotate/Balance/Align... They want $120. For life (I'm probably changin the tires in a year or so) they want $226.

Hate to say it....but that's what you get for living in NYC...everything is more expensive.

I payed $134.99 for my lifetime alignment from Firestone. Check those moneysaver mailer things, they send out coupons in those every now and then.

I guess I'm close enough to the city where city pricing follows me. (50 miles)

mzxtreme - You are right it cannot be worth that, BUT... My trusty mechanic is in the city. Driving to him alone is 25 dollars worth of gas. Plus the wait and stuff, plus I always spend money when I go to the city. The car is already there, i will next time though. Sensors seem to be a big thing with this late model R50's. Savings will come in the future.

The best thing you can do is pick up a service manual and thumb through it. The Hayne's alone is junk, but alongside the factory service manual, I've been able to do everything I've needed to on my truck.

I have the service manual... Not the haynes though. The service manual is a complicated monster.

Do you have a link to where I can get the Haynes or does anyone know of a better manual... For the future. I plan on keeping this truck for a long time, so I will need it.

Edited by rmd0311

*sings*......... like a good neighbor.. NPORA is there...............

anyone else have that all state commercial? :blink:

OK you got me by the socks. I know VG30i and VG30 motors well. NO VTC sensor. so which motor is this????

I was going to look it up for you but I can not find it.

As for service manuals. I give you a hayes for the price of postage... thats what they are worth. Chilton is not much better. If you really want to keep the pathy buy the factory manual about $70. or subscribe to an on line manual service like I have or use the one that someone here on the forum posted a while back

Yeah I have the VQ35... The dealer has already fixed the sensor, rotated, balanced and aligned my tires. All this to the tune of 300 flat. This because I argued with the service manager that there was no way it took 90 minutes to change the sensor. Original was 345.. Something is something I guess.

I called the original dealer to find out the service history. Since purchased, they have changed 3 Oxygen Sensors, the radio TWiCE and a couple of ther miscellanous things. So hopefully, I should be good. Knocking on wood...

OK you got me by the socks. I know VG30i and VG30 motors well. NO VTC sensor. so which motor is this????

I was going to look it up for you but I can not find it.

As for service manuals. I give you a hayes for the price of postage... thats what they are worth. Chilton is not much better. If you really want to keep the pathy buy the factory manual about $70. or subscribe to an on line manual service like I have or use the one that someone here on the forum posted a while back

vg33.

That final price seems OK. I paid $245 CDN for that sensor. It is hard to get at, so they say. :P

that's their worm way of trying to justify the price ;)