Bye Bye Shelly

Cuong Nguyen

how do you expect to sell her for very much with bent valves? i think with all the work you have put into her, you should just get the valve work done, and enjoy, i mean she is YOUR truck, no one elses, that is hard to find.....

they don't bend just from sitting.. something else must have done it if in fact that's the case.

ditto. they either got bent because the motor was off time by quite a few teeth, or you got alot of slack in the t-belt. or something rather large could have made its way into the chamber (or mechanical failure in the valve train) and possibly stuck a valve open and it got smacked with a piston. they dont just "bend" so easily

yeah, on my buddys yota, he took his intake hose off and noticed a chunk was missing on the underside right before it goes into the manifold, so he put it all back toghether and it starting running rough, we couldnt figure it out and it was late and he had to go, so the next he had an appointment with the stealership to do a few other things so he had them look at that, that little chunk came off and bent the number one spark plug closed

I remember when I first fired it up after it sitting for over a year that I heard loud smacking and turned her off immediately. described the problem and sound and people thought it was just bad gas and it was just knocking... I guess something something got lodged into the valves when I replaced the valve cover gaskets. I was pretty sure the timing was still on since I tore everything apart to check after I heard that craziness...

Nice find! Haven't had the time to start searching up parts since I've been tired and sleeping. Do you think the rings and bottom end will hold up with "new" heads?
I dunno but given the options of spending $200 or so versus scrapping the truck, I'd give it a shot. If you've got the room and time you could pull the motor and rebuild the bottom end too and it'll be good for another 200k miles. I'm sure Slick could give you a good idea of the cost and what to expect if you do. But for God's sake, don't paint it purple. :D

Good luck, bud.

Nice find! Haven't had the time to start searching up parts since I've been tired and sleeping. Do you think the rings and bottom end will hold up with "new" heads?

i rebuilt my heads at 200k miles, and it runs sweet. These bottom ends ar good for 500,000 miles if taken care of.

I'd put new heads on it and go wheeling

sweet. I've already talked to one of the guys selling the heads.

88, I had to remove the upper intake to access the left valve cover. Don't think the valve could seize over time to where ti's stuck.. I guess I'll have to see when I tear everything apart.

88 rules, supr3m3 h4x0r 43v3r