last dumb question....I hope.

turbopath

So are all of the intakes out there for the R50's just a filter after the MAF? If they are, how the heck do these companies get off charging 200 bucks for them... I was looking at the jim wolf, HKS, and weapon R. I'm leaning towards the jim wolf just because it's a K&N filter, but just a filter isn't worth over 100 bucks to me. I'm used to finding intakes that replace all of the factory junk.

The Weapon-R "Dragon" SRI (warm-air) replaces the factory intake tube, but still uses the factory MAF. The other vendors do not.

http://www.eautoworks.com/html/ORD-1-1-1-24802.cfm

(The item pictured does not show the actual product for the Pathfinder.)

Edited by XPLORx4

The Stillen set up is a true cold air intake, but they are no longer in production. They show up on ebay from time to time. The offroad guys don't like the low position of the filter, and I'm not real thrilled with it myself, but I've had this on for a few months with no problem.

http://npora.ipbhost.com//index.php?showto...t=0entry93080

I did a JWT [pop charger knock off from the local parts store...I did learn one trick...but it is small. If you leave the little sensor (air intake tem sensor) from the factory piping that is in the wheel well outside the engine bay the truck thinks that the air is colder and adds more fuel (similar to the eBay !!! 20 HP in 10 MIN !!! crap)

The catch is that this will beat up your gas mileage...warmer air actually gives you better economy, or perhaps just giving the ECU the right reading to adjust would be a better reasoning!

According to the FSM, the IAT sensor isn't used for engine operation at all. It's only for diagnostic purposes. (This is on a '97.) Maybe it's different on your '98.

Edited by XPLORx4

i went from stock - to a custom k&n air filter (stock MAF) and some links to shorten it up...i was always getting mud and water in the open elemnet k&n filter so i switched to a custom snorkel...if youd like pictures of either of these set ups let me know.

(if you just want a k&n filter, ive got a brand new one ($60) sitting in my room u can have for $35 plus ship