Are Optima batteries worth the money?

ntwrkguy1

The 4 yr old battery in my '97 Pathfinder died tonight. The vehicle is bone stock ( no performance upgrades, no huge amps, no winch, stock ignition, etc), and sees virtually no off-roading

Is it worth the money for an Optima battery? They start at about $110, and I can buy a 'regular' battery from Sam's/Costco for half of that.

Optima are great batteries... but if you dont plan on putting any additional strain on like you mentioned (lights, winch...) then I would say you might want to save your pennies. Or, if you do go for an Optima - go for the Red top. Try a search on the board for more info, (for "optima" or "red top") I know there are other threads kicking around about them.

Pezzy,

I did search on a few of them, and most of them revolved around winches, 1000 watt amps, etc :) so I figured Optimas must be the battery of choice for the 'upgraded' set. Given the fact that the $50 battery that was in the Pathfinder lasted 4 years, I'll take my chances (and save some money) with something similar.

Thanks,

DavidM

personally i love the redtop and am totaly cool with spending the extra bucks on it. look for an interstate store, that's who makes them and they are cheaper there. it's definitely like having 2 batteries. i have ran that thing to the ground. lights on for two day in the garage, crank, boom it runs.. played cds all night, crank, boom it runs.. not even a hair of hessitation. 0F, crank.. you guessed it.. like it was 80F

Optima batteries are very good. You don't need upgraded anything to run one, and it's a good insurance policy against discharge/recharge damage in case it ever gets abused/drained/recharged.

I've had my Red-Top in four different vehicles for over 7 years and it still works like the day it was new. Holding 12.9VDC as we speak, just checked it a little while ago and I haven't driven my Pathy in weeks. Mine has been through so many discharge/recharges I can't remember and it still works fine. I know of three separate incidents of alternator failure when the engine ran only on battery until it died, and it took a charge and came right back to life each time. That single battery drove me home 65 miles from the sand dunes when the alternator died once, with not a problem. Any common lead-acid battery would have given up the ghost long ago.

I ran optima since they were the only gell cell sealed typed I knew at the time. I'd suggest you go with a sealed type or similar--orbitar or optima because you don't want battery acid leaking all over the place and eating up your paint... just look at my hood..

also, if you do some rough offroading, the plates inside the regular batteries can brake although it's not really common.

Edited by Cuong Nguyen

If you live in Az like me then the Optima is worth it. Regular batteries tend to give up the ghost at about 2yrs old. Optima will go strong for a about 6 yrs. Its pretty crazy how good they are. Plus they dont leak or break. AWESOME!!

I have a DEKA sealed marine and it is awesome...big stereo system runs for long time w/truck off.....starts right up...that doesn't mean that your alternator won't still have to work, but it eliminates hard starting and stuff in the winter and definately cuts back on blown subwoofers from lack of current!!!

I've got a Red Top and I have not and any problems with it! The Red Top (if you were to go with an Optima) would be your best bet! I would run the Yellow with Lots-o-Lights/Winch/A system that would drain alot! I eventually plan on running a yellow AND a red! You want a good battery Im sure there are plenty. You want a GREAT battery get an Optima! (no I didnt get paid to say that lol)

Rami

AFIK, Duralast red top batteries are just a regular Auto Zone battery, but I could be wrong. That said, they're pretty stout. I've got one, and on more than one occassion I've been a moron and left a door open or an interior light on over night after working on the truck or unloading, and came out in the morning to fire the beast up with no problems.

optima is a brand and is made by interstate. don't you read any posts? it's a jell battery. most regular batteries are liquid and led plates. they don't do as well when jarred hard and they do tend to leak. optima can be mounted on it's side if you wish. great stuff.

I'm subways bro and i work at autozone the durlast batteries are good but nothing on the optimas. We live in AZ the heat here causes most regular batteries to die in about 2 years if you are luck if you get 3 years. Optimas on the other hand tend to last about 5 to 6 years its pretty crazy. Autozone and cheacker will price match any company so just bring in the add or something and they will match the price that saves tons of money and time.