Just in case any one cares:

Diesel Boy

Well, i ran the battery flat by leving the heater fan on with the key in the AUX position over night. (strange that the fan runs in the aux position)

I then proceeded to wreck the voltage regulator in the process of trying to get it going.

After two days in the work shop (thats what you deal with living pin head sized town) it came back.

To prevent it happening again, i decided to go over board and fit an isolator switch in side the vehicle which cuts the negative to the battery. A bit of shagging around and i know have a giant red key on the consol next to the gear seletor. (looks very similar to the type you would give a baby to play/chew on) :D

I suppose it has the added benefit of being a good anti theft device as you can remove the key, and if you have an accident, roll over or get cosey with a tree/rock while of road you can isolate the battery with out lifting the bonnet, which is easier said than done if it is all twisted and crunched hard up against a tree.

I AM MAD I KNOW!!! :blink:

Two leads run under the body above the transmission through the transmission tunnel, through two holes in the floor up under the center consol. I blanked off a coin holder thingy with a piece of aluminium, cut the coin holder out from underneath and screwed the switch down on top.

At the battery end i digarded the old negative lead, ran one of the new leads to the battery, and the other two the body at the existing mounting point. I made up a third lead and ran it from the earth point on the body to a new point on the engine. Just a precaution as the cables were slightly lighter gauge than the existing earth lead, and about ten times as long. I was assured by an auto electrician that the extra distance current had to flow to get back to the battery wouldn't effect the starter preformance but initial impressions are that it is cranking slightly slower, and takes two rather than one compressions to start the motor from cold.

So there you are, just so you know :D

:beer:

Pete.

That can also solve some electrical mysteries. Had an old GM car, and nobody- NOBODY- me, mechanics, dad who was an electician, could find where a mysterious current draw was coming from. It would drive around fine, then die overnight. New battery, alternator, hours of testing. Finally, I just installed a battery cutt of switch and killed the juice every night. That would be Yankee enginuity. Or redneck auto repair...

My mysterious current draw over night was the regulator in the alternator. The other side of the switch is to stop me from leaving anything turned on over night if im out staying in the middle of know where. kinda hard to push start a auto!!

That is the most annoying saftey device ever dreamed off!!!

When you are in park you have to first put your foot on the brake to select a gear other wise it won't let you.

If the ingnition is off and you want to take it out of park, you lift up that red lever and it lets you take it out of park.

Pain in the A$$ all right!!!

Pete.

• 1 month later...

Diesel Boy

Simple modification to get rid of Auto Shift lock Solenoid problem

1)Remove console cover to Auto Shift stick

2)Select suitable shifter or vice grips

3)Bend back striker bracket that solenoid lever engages into (about 90degrees should do!)

Wala!!! Shift stick moves without ignition on, foot on break etc. (minor miracle)

Cost = $0's (minimum outlay of sweat)

Only reason I did mine was because solenoid didn't release at all (electrical problem I think). It meant I had to manually release "everytime it was in park"!!!! What a stupid idea.

Hope this helps

Buzz :beer:

Thanks!!

Very usefull!!

Its stupid safty things like that which will adventually let you down in some very inconvinient situation like a 4X4 trip with heaps of other vehicles and you have to hold them up while you figure out if it can be fixed or if you have to put up with it.

Could be bad if you have to use park as the brakes are wet and you were in some tricky slippery place and neede at least one hand on the wheel!!

Cheers,

Pete.

Guest notread

Sweet mother of Nissan, you guys are the best! My solenoid does not work either and I have been racking my brain to figure out where the problem is. In one day I find out the solution to two of my biggest problems with my 91 Pathy, that danged solenoid and why I couldn't get power to my rear speakers when I changed the head unit.....yep no power to the amps that I didn't know about. God I love it. :clap:

I spent 12months trying to find wiring diagram for Terrano shift lock and eventually gave in to a little bit of "shifter persuasion". Some times the simplest way is the best way. Glad it helped some one else

Buzz :beer: