In Cabin Air Filter

tecciball

My Pathy was leased in its fomer life, which is why it only had 33k on it when I bought it. Unfortunately, the original driver was a heavy smoker of both the brown and wacky tabacco. The guy even left me a gift under the rear seat. sssh

Anyway, I thinking I would like to replace the in cabin air filter. It doesnt stink of smoke. I just imagine it is gross from the former smoker.

Can anyone clue me in on the replacement procedure, or point me toward some directions online?

Thanks in advance, and I will be posting another question in a new string about coolant fluid options.

Tecc - I just got a new micro filter last week and hopefully will install it this weekend. It comes with instructions and looks pretty easy. I almost have 60,000 miles on the same filter, but then again my car has never been smoked in wacky or none.

Edited by Trialsin26

Wait Tecc...a guy smoked wacky tabacky in your Pathy and you want to get rid of the smell?!?!?!?

Just kidding :D Good for you...as a former smoker of 10 years, there's nothing I hate more than the smell of tabacky (wacky or not) in a vehicle...it instantly detracts me. But I think it's going to take some high endurance (think...Old Spice LOL) deodorizer to clean the odor out of the carpeting. Maybe you could try one of those rent-a-carpet-cleaners with a detatchable hose and give the Pathy a good two/three times over with that? :confused:

Navy-

First and foremost, I did not intend to knock the wacky. I consumed enough in my highschool and college years to put all the children in British Columbia through college. I have a wife, two kids and a decent job now so that habit is long gone.

So for both me and the Pathy, there is not much in the way of a smokey smell remaining. The place I bought it from scrubbed the carpets and seats. They didnt scrub the headline though. I have been wondering if I can get that clean. Thoughts anyone?

Reading this forum has got me thinking about the possible residual effects of the previous owner, namely the cabin filter. That is all.

my QX4 smells like potent dank!!!

theres a cannabis dispensarie on my street (CA has legal weed stores everywhere) so i am 100% legal!!!

what did you find under the seat? i found mexican change under mine when i bought it.

Edited by FUELER

my QX4 smells like potent dank!!!

theres a cannabis dispensarie on my street (CA has legal weed stores everywhere) so i am 100% legal!!!

what did you find under the seat? i found mexican change under mine when i bought it.

:laugh::lol:

I just changed mine today. Here is a picture of the old one and new one side by side. The old one is the original one with 57,000 + miles on it.

DSCF0027-copy.jpg

Edited by Trialsin26

Okay, need some help on this one too...

I'm a terrible n00b mechanic. I followed this thread and past threads and found the diagram of how to remove stuff. Anyways, I

removed the glovebox,

then the plastic surround,

unscrewed those big gold screws

unclipped the clip on the black box

unscrewed the silver philips head screws

BUT the damned black box still won't open! Is there a hidden screw of some sort? I thought I was going to break something.

I do have a disgusting filter in there that I got a peak of... :X

I'm not really sure what you are having problems with, is it removing the filter or the inner glove box? If it's the filter there shouldn't be a screw holding it in, only a clip. If it is the inner glove box and there is one point the wont come undone you might want to unscrew the molding right above the glove box that says pathfinder, there is a hidden screw there. I don't know if this helps because it could be different from 99.5 to my 2001.

I'm not really sure what you are having problems with, is it removing the filter or the inner glove box? If it's the filter there shouldn't be a screw holding it in, only a clip. If it is the inner glove box and there is one point the wont come undone you might want to unscrew the molding right above the glove box that says pathfinder, there is a hidden screw there. I don't know if this helps because it could be different from 99.5 to my 2001.

I got to the point where I'm looking at the black box containing the filter. I took the clip off, no prob.

I could crack the box open at the middle but couldn't get it removed...it seemed like I was overlooking a screw at the bottom of the box but no idea. Any suggestions?

Your 2001 has a different dash than mine. I don't have that trim piece above the glove box.

Did you remove the black box entirely? How did you get access to the filter and be able to put the new one in?

Thanks Trialsin! :beer:

Can you tell where the filter is? It should be in the middle of the black box. Nothing else should hold it in besides that clip. It might just be a tight fit, I had to work a little on mine before it came lose. Make sure to remove the bottom on first, then slide the top one down to where the bottom one was and pull it out. There shoud be two filters. As far as I know there should not be anything holding it in besides the clip at the bottom.

Edited by Trialsin26

Can you tell where the filter is? It should be in the middle of the black box. Nothing else should hold it in besides that clip. It might just be a tight fit, I had to work a little on mine before it came lose. Make sure to remove the bottom on first, then slide the top one down to where the bottom one was and pull it out. There shoud be two filters. As far as I know there should not be anything holding it in besides the clip at the bottom.

Seems that our filters are in the same place...

I also removed several medium sized silver Philips head screws. From what you're saying, I only needed to remove the front clip that holds the top and bottom parts of the black box together. This is the only clip, right? What is the clip at the bottom? Did you have to unscrew these screws?

Maybe I just wasn't jiggling it hard enough. I was able to get it to where the male part on each side of the bottom part went down enough to exit the female top thing after I got the clip off. Once I get the males seperate and the clip off I'm good to go?

Didn't know anything about two filters. I peeked at one long one in the box longitudinally, just like the ones pictured.

Thank you so much for your patience Trialsin!

99.5, are you sure you have a filter? I remember some of the models didn't come with them, but had a space to cut the plastic out and install one.

That is true, not all the Pathy's have the filter (my 02 does not). The instructions show how to retrofit one if you want.