1 more BL question I swear!

Duffman

Alright, had a friend come over and help finish up and change out his studs.

Its almost done, runs and everything (suprise). Only 2 more things to fix up, first being the steering column. Im not quite shure where to get more slack outta the steering column, after the SL it was running out and now its about a half inch too short. Do I loosen the bolt at the bottom by the power steering unit to take more shaft out or do I have to weld another piece of rod in there (aka screwed).

The last question is the front bumper....WTF?! ghetto to the max with this thing. Anyone have any pictures of how that riged this POS?

Finally, a picture of my progress...

lifted.jpg

The steering shaft has a slip joint in case of an accident. if you look in the middle of the shaft, you'll see a rubber to prevent crap coming in the splines. Over time, the shaft will kinda rust up. I had to soak mine in PB blaster for a while and knock it loose. I removed the shaft completely out to do it. Make sure you mark the shaft so it goes back in the same way it was before. The shaft is held on by 12mm bolts on both ends, IIRC.

As for the front bumper brackets, I had to cut a notch on the front brackets so it won't interfere with the groove and point straight up. Like GrimGreg said, you coujld tack some welds so it'd stay sturdier. Also, you could fabricate your own one piece bracket. Go to my Cardomain page and look on page 4. You'll see the bumper brackets I talk about.

I got the column out and am having a hell of a time getting it loose. Soak it in penetrant and then wd-40 and have been doing that every 5 minutes. I even heated it up with a torch for awile. I guess time and more wd40 will tell. I have to get it done by tonight!

89, my truck drove like crap with only SL. I trimmed the front fenders to hell and I still rubbed (enough to cut) I would not recomend it, DONT DO IT.

I had to weld a bead around Rami's shaft, weld up a couple pieces up pipe to fit over that(and be able to hit with a hammer), then beat the piss out of it with a 2.5 lb hammer in a bench vise to get it loose. They're NOT very easy to pry apart. Soaking with PB and using heat seems to help.

Im using a MAAP torch right now.

I let the thing soak in castrol super clean for a couple hours, If anything than to take the paint off so It can be welded on easy. Im going to go outside and bang on it somemore.

Wish me luck....

Looks like you're all done now, but if you're struggling with the shaft, follow another version from 88. Grab one end with a bench vice, then clamp on a set of old vice grips on the other end, and pound on said vice grips down to extend the shaft.

On the bumper brackets, yeah, they're a joke. After mine worked themselves back loose, I tacked the stock bracket to the frame inside the fenderwells. When I broke the tack welds after some rough running and airtime, well, I made bigger welds. :D