WD21 K&N

89_trailboss

Crap. I used to have it, but I can't find it. You might consider using an adapter and keep the stock box intact just in case you want it for a snorkel or something sometime. You can find MAF adapters that will work on our engines, and it is probably easier than fooling with the box. I made a cold air box to hold mine from some thin sheet metal. Here it is in progress.

100_2728.jpg

Not trying to POHO but.... I ripped out a driver side mud flap Wednesday and ended up with a nice mud puddle on top of my air intake box. (round one on top of motor '87). Had a K&N filter been installed would that have made me a candidate for the dreaded Hydro lock? The filter appears to be more vunerable to water not being encased. Perhaps there are some engineered designs to address water intake. Anybody know?

Not trying to POHO but.... I ripped out a driver side mud flap Wednesday and ended up with a nice mud puddle on top of my air intake box. (round one on top of motor '87). Had a K&N filter been installed would that have made me a candidate for the dreaded Hydro lock? The filter appears to be more vunerable to water not being encased. Perhaps there are some engineered designs to address water intake. Anybody know?

How do you propose to install a cone filter on the TBI?

How do you propose to install a cone filter on the TBI?

Actually, I have been formulating a plan for an adapter to bolt in place of the gimongus air cleaner :idea: . Basically a steel box made to fit the gasket around the opening, tall enough to use the stock cleaner cover bolts. Then cut out/ splice in a 3" round opening that can be plumbed to.

Just an idea ATM, but hope to make a prototype soon.

does anyone  think  a cold air box built around  the  cone  will  add any  performance ?  Thanks ---glenn

In theory yes, but I don't have any proof on that. With a box, most of the air is pulled from the fender well, which is mostly cool air. Then again, the only place pulling air is the fender well, same as the stock air box. If nothing else, it might help in the event of water or mud entering the engine compartment.

I can tell you that the cone type filters make a better (throaty) sound and just a slightly noticeable difference on throttle response. That's with a stock setup, the performance might be more noticeable with other mods (exhaust, etc). If you are considering a cone filter, you should know that you'll likely get a little whistle sound. It's not too bad, but maybe enough to annoy some folks.

Had a K&N filter been installed would that have made me a candidate for the dreaded Hydro lock?

From what I know about hydrolock (a bunch of VW guys run with CAI's) the filter has to be completely submerged for the engine to hydrolock. So no I doubt you'd hydrolock with it unless your were in some sort of hell-bent water-crossing scenario.

Not that a muddy air filter is a good thing ;)

You can find MAF adapters that will work on our engines, and it is probably easier than fooling with the box.

Where can I find the MAF adapters at and what is the part number I needed I orderes one off of ebay but it was the wrong one.

Depends on what you want/ what you want to pay. I saw some at Pep Boys (about $10) that might work might need some slight modification to bolt holes. Some people have used ones made for Altimas (on average $15 Ebay), with slight modification to the bolt holes. Or AC sells one that's dirrect bolt on that is over $100 for the adapter and corresponding K&N cone filter.

Ive come up with a intake for my TBI. used some 3" ABS. still have a few things to figure out but it does have a tight seal and a cheap cone filter(wasnt gona spend big money on a K&N till I knew this would work). I will see if I can fix my camera and get the pics off

Where can I find the MAF adapters at and what is the part number I needed I orderes one off of ebay but it was the wrong one.

Try calling all the ricer racer shops in your area. That's where I ended up getting one. It wasn't a perfect fit on the bolt holes, but an easy fix like GrimGreg said with the Maxima adapter.

I just mentioned this in another post, but be sure that the intake shape is exactly like yours with an off-center intake hole. I ordered one from ebay that was listed for my year Pathfinder and the hole was in the middle of the square. I installed it and the truck would not run. That little bit of space makes a huge difference in airflow to the sensor.

Edited by Earth1

Ive come up with a intake for my TBI. used some 3" ABS. still have a few things to figure out but it does have a tight seal and a cheap cone filter(wasnt gona spend big money on a K&N till I knew this would work). I will see if I can fix my camera and get the pics off

gonn punch a hole in the hood and add the K&N like a mutant little Christmas tree sticking up in th air?