temperature problem

solid snake

As most of you know I had my t-belt changed a couple of weeks ago, since then i have noticed that the temperature gauge gets to the mid point very quickly. I placed a new 170 degree t-stat and changed the radiator cap on it. But the temperature is still at the half way mark. I was in line coming back from Mexico on Wednesday for about 30 minutes and it started to heat up, it was porbably 3/4 or a little more from the high side. Before when I was in line it didn't heat up, but cool down. I saw the temp fall, now it increases, I'm actually pretty worried about it. Could the t-belt have anything to do with this?

These questions may have been asked before, but...

Is your fan working correctly? Any wires disconnected or loose... have you checked and rechecked all the connections to make sure (if disconnected) that they were hooked back up the proper way after the T-Belt replacement? Is the relay working correctly? Anything damaged (wires/relay/sensor rod/etc)?... was the fan physically reinstalled properly? Could it be binding?

Can you hear it turn on and off... is it doing this correctly?

Edited by RedPath88

These questions may have been asked before, but...

Is your fan working correctly? Any wires disconnected or loose... have you checked and rechecked all the connections to make sure (if disconnected) that they were hooked back up the proper way after the T-Belt replacement? Is the relay working correctly? Anything damaged (wires/relay/sensor rod/etc)?... was the fan physically reinstalled properly? Could it be binding?

Can you hear it turn on and off... is it doing this correctly?

The fan is working properly, it has a e-fan, no wires look disconnected. I pulled apart the whole set up to see it the thermostat was installed properly, everything looked in tip top shape, put everything in it's place. Haven't checked the relay, but I can smell the heat from the engine when i park my car. I didn't use to smell it before. Sonsor rod? where can I find that? I hear the fan turn on and off correctly. i will replace the clutch fan and remove the e-fan to see any changes.

If the fan is turning on and off as it always has then the sensor should be fine, but it cannot hurt to look anyway...

"Sensor Rod" is for the lack of the proper term (just cannot remember the right name for it now). It is the metal (brass?) rod with a couple of electrical contacts on it which is pushed through the radiator fins and secured in place.

It detects the temperature and either supplies or cuts the power to the relay (which in turn provides power to the fan motor)

Another thought...

Is your cooling system becoming over pressurized? Does the water/coolant in the overflow reservoir ever overflow or boil? If so you may have a blown head gasket.

Another thought...

Is your cooling system becoming over pressurized? Does the water/coolant in the overflow reservoir ever overflow or boil? If so you may have a blown head gasket.

I haven't checked this out yet, but I do not see any overflow dripping. I'll double check it though.

yes.. burp the old girl first.. but my pathy was doing that also (temp up n down like a yoyo.. heater hot then cold) and it had a blown head gasket.. tho she really didn't show signs til late in her illness :sniff:

head gasket is a definite possibilty. i just thought he ought to start with the simplest stuff. and he didn't mention yo-yo effect. the high temp reading is a classic trapped air symptom.. not that there couldn't be some other issues.

i saw the little plastic screw you were talking about, but not along the upper hose, it was on the opposite side of the lower hose. It was really hard to budge. It was attached to a hose that runs downward.

i saw the little plastic screw you were talking about, but not along the upper hose, it was on the opposite side of the lower hose.  It was really hard to budge. It was attached to a hose that runs downward.

:o please don't tell me it was anywhere near the radiator? that's the a/c! here's a pic of where the burper is.. 10mm socket and undo a bit but don't remove.. put rad cap back on and run to working temp or until water *starts* spewing out of the hole (my pathy will not burp with the rad cap off.. she's awkward like that)

then let spew for a few minutes.... mine likes to barf up for about 10 minutes ...

Edited by Slick

Oops :o I feel dumb! Thanks for point that out to me, duh.

no biggie. i updated the pic a bit... you can do eeeeeet! -bounce- :beer: as she takes another swig off her J & C -alcohol- sly

:o  please don't tell me it was anywhere near the radiator? that's the a/c!  here's a pic of where the burper is.. 10mm socket and undo a bit but don't remove.. put rad cap back on and run to working temp or until water stops spewing out of the hole (my pathy will not burp with the rad cap off.. she's awkward like that)

you're awesome with the pics slick1. lol

i am not sure where the one on my 94 is but the one on my 89 was to the left of center up close to the rad and on top. fo sho.. plastic and it also had a phillips cuts in it. pretty sure it was in the upper hose... hmmm.

i actually rarely burp any of my vehicles. normally i just fill and make sure to put some coolant in the reservoir. i have never had any problems but the screw thing is the proper procedure.

just checked slick's pic and it wasn't the a/c one. more towards the other side. near the outlet from the t-stat.

Edited by mzxtreme

you're awesome with the pics slick1. lol

just checked slick's pic and it wasn't the a/c one. more towards the other side. near the outlet from the t-stat.

:takebow: i feel that visuals are the best form of instruction. that's how i learn... you can TELL me anything.. but until i see or do it... yer SOL. ;)

Thanks for the pic Slick, I wasn't trying to burp the rad from the a/c. I'm not that dumb. But from the pic that you showed me I think that the one I have to burp her from should be the hose next to the pcv hose right?

Heres the pics.

DSC00224.jpg

DSC00223.jpg

This is the one I was trying to open

Edited by solid snake

i can almost see which one you need to open.. it is there by the hose on the intake yes.. it has a copper washer if that's any help and it's by itself up there

copper washer sounds about right. it has been years since i even looked at that thing. i am not sure if my 94 has that doohicky or not. might look tomorrow if i remember.

it should.. mine's a 92. i have had to do a LOT of burping lately cuz i have been draining the rad like once a week trying to get the poop outta the motor from it bein sittin so long.. i don't want all that crap blockin my h2o pump or cruddin up stuff. so i drain, flush, refill, flush, drain, refill.. add anti freeze.. on my way :rolleyes: