Running a wire through the firewall

lyzic

I have a 2000 Pathy.

For those that have done a bit of wiring in the past, where was the best, and most easily accessed place to run a wire through the firewall. Just one 16gauge wire.

Also, where the most easily accessed 12v switched power source on a pathfinder? I think I'll go with the cigarette lighter, but anywhere easier to get at to tap into than that?

not sure about r50s but on wd21 the whole harness comes in on the passenger side. really the best place to go through the fire wall. a little bit of PITA; it's water tight but doable with a little grimassing and sweat.. maybe a couple of curse words too. :D

switched?

for (+) you can try to tap into the fuse box.

thanks for the replies,

yeah, my pathfinder is an auto so I have that clutch hole.

I need switched power, as in you only get power when the key is turned on, like accessory, rather than a constant feed. Could anyone point out where in the fusebox I could tap into? I have the manual off of the net but can't find what I need.

Cheers

I used a small hole just to the left of my clutch pedal and below where the hood latch cable goes through. You have to remove the inner finder shell to pull the wires through the firewall. I used it for my grounds and power from the battery. It has about 6, 16 gauge wires going through it and I probably can fit two more. For my 12v power source I used the cigarette lighter. I don’t like cutting factory wiring so I actual took the cigarette lighter apart and attached 3 wire for power from it. So far I use it to power the switch for by backup lights, side lights, xm radio, and I will use it for my top mounted front lights. By they way how many switches can you power from a 12 volt cigarette liter? Would it be possible to power 3 switch, xm radio and a cb radio? I guess I’ll find out.

Edited by Trialsin26

wiring in a mirror that has the temperature and compass functions, as well as auto dimming

Is there any pre-existing wiring in the headliner?

Some versions had different lights and the like, maybe even the mirror you are thinking of?

My 02 has lighted vanity mirrors in the sun visors plus the two map lights right behind the rearview mirror. You would just need to figure out how to have those switched.

Just a thought.

that was me who posted the schematic

my pathfinder didn't come with the vanity mirrors with lights, or the top console with temp and compass. i also don't have the sunroof.

the only piece of the wiring harness that was in my headliner was for the two map lights on the top console. i tapped into those for my new vanity mirrors with lights, but they are constant, not switched on/off with the key. i'm worried that i will drain the battery if i hook the mirror up to a constant power source.

the mirror is aftermarket, gentex something-or-other. autodimming, like the new cadillacs so you don't have to flip it at night. i removed the stock pathfinder one, and have to glue the new one to the windshield and wire it up

i think i'll tap into the cigarette lighter. i'll post some pics when i have everything working (although it won't be that exciting)

cool. good luck. you could also use fogs or something like that that may not be used much although the cig light should be able to handle such surrent. check what else is on that circuit to make sure. you could always replace the wire with a bigger one and bump the fuse to the next amperage.

you also have the option of tapping into the stereo acc/on wire, it should be red. i doubt that an auto dimming mirror with a compass will draw much current. or you can just plug the wire in with a fuse in the driver-side fuse box (the one near your left knee). but be sure that you pick a fuse that supplies power for something that's on when the key is in the "on" position, ie power windows, radio, fog/headlights, etc. just so you know your options =)

my switched power source conected to here in the fuse box

its the starter fuse

i drilled a small hole in the firewall for my power cable.

post-7-1143830403.jpg

Edited by FUELER

• 9 years later...

Hey so I just installed a 24 inch led bar and I found that if you have an automatic r50 hands down the easiest way is through the clutch plate.

I took off the clutch plate and behind it was a gap with a small metal plate across it. There was enough space for me to feed 3 wires in for a switch and the location for the button works out perfectly.

I had to cut out a tiny corner from the clutch plate and tape it down so it wouldnt cut my wires.

Taking the two 12 mm blots off feeding the wire and cutting the plate and putting it back together took under 8 minutes.

Enjoy!

( ps this firewall break is as far from the battery as possible. The universal harness I was using did not reach the battery terminal so I had to splice in 3 feet or so. That's way easier than fighting through wiring grommets and air vents or whatever other firewall option out there.)

92ff5f8ac1c82124b5772ac0a9b161f3.jpg8f779cf336f4f0db2eca8a2045dced95.jpgfbb8615b280569aaab6d6913c052ff3a.jpg4666f23a3bcb70d665b775d5e2777f44.jpgc4b890872de6b61f97038196600eb88c.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

• Like 3