Effect of window tint on factory privacy glass

ntwrkguy1

My son's '97 SE has the factory privacy glass (the kind that has a 'mirrored' appearance to it). What happens if you put darker tint (30% or so) on these windows? Does it change the mirrored appearance drastically?

His '97 is black, and would look much better with dark windows!

I'm pretty sure it simply darkens everything which leaves the mirror effect exactly the same, just darker. Hard to explain... yes the windows will be darker, no it won't add to or detract from the mirrior quality. In my opinion, I wouls scrape off the mirror tint so it matches the front windows assuming you are getting them tinted as well.

Wheelman,

Can you actually scrape the mirrored stuff off? I looked at the windows the other day, but couldn't find an edge to the tint. That DEFINITELY would be the way to go, since it would get rid of the mirrored effect, which I don't like anyway!

Thanks,

Ntwrkguy1

I have factory tint on my 87 (kinda gold-ish) and I wanted to tint it to match the front windows. I asked a buddy of mine about it and he said it wouldn't change the appearance from the outside at all. He had the same problem on his Jeep and he actually had to replace the glass then tint it to make it match because the factory tint is in the glass, not a film.

yup, its colored glass, u cant scrape it off.

luckily, my qx4 had dark, non-mirror factory windows!! i hate the mirror ones!!

heres mine with factory dark colored glass and a layer of tint

0048.jpg

Edited by FUELER

Wow aren't the cops all over you for the front window tint? Up here if you have ANY tint on the driver/passenger windows the cops will write you a fix it ticket SO fast!

Same here, no tint except what came from the factory for the windshield and front driver/passenger windows. 72 hours to fix it when the cops get you. Back ones you can do anything.

Wow aren't the cops all over you for the front window tint? Up here if you have ANY tint on the driver/passenger windows the cops will write you a fix it ticket SO fast!

sly have you ever looked closely at my windows andrew? my front's are tinted too.. not enuff to attract too much attention but dark enuff you don't get blined by the sun ;)

all black like that? yeah.. unless yer drivin a limo you would get a fix it ticket for that....

i am going 2 shades darker this summer cuz it get's so hot out here.. the front tint i have is not dark enuff.

to stay on topic.. you can add window tint but the mirrior will always be there unless you replace the glass as stated aboe. it's integrated in the actual glass.

Don't look too closely at my tint or you'll notice that the drivers side triangle has purple tint while the rest are light black. The PO was broke into and I guess the replacement glass place could only find purple tint. :shrug:

Looks good Fueler!

My tint on the front is 15%, which perfectly matches the factory rear tint. I hate having more tint on the windshield, so I just have the factory blue tint strip.

Cops don't bother you unless you drive like a jackass and they want to write you up for whatever they can.

Just don't tint the moonroof, whatever you do!