I found my rear brake problem

IMG_7848.JPG

Yep... rear brake pad exploded, disintegrated and ate away at my rear disc. pssd

IMG_7845.JPG

IMG_7843.JPG

Yea.. the grinding noise was fantastic. As you can see by the thickness of the other pad, it was practically new. I only drove like this for half a day before going to the shop BTW. :(

About 6 months old.

This time I am not throwing out the receipt. :hide:

You might try taking them back...

One time I had the brake shoes separate 2-3 months after I put them on (old POS Topaz). Called up the Schucks that I bought them at and was told that I must have installed them incorrectly. We argued back and forth a bit about it before I was too pissed to talk to him.

So I went down there, as soon as the punk arse kid saw me walk through the door he headed towards me. I looked right at him and said (not to quietly either) "If you value anything in your life, you will turn around and walk away" He did exactly that and I walked up to the manager.

The manager looked at them, then pulled the remaining pad surface away from the metal shoe with little effort. Put them back in the box and tossed them to the kid who challenged me... and said "Get him new ones right now."

That kid is not there anymore, but during the remainder of his time there he never questioned me again.

hey luker, mine look like that too but i think it's cause of my slide pins that one pad wears out before the other. it's just that it's too damn cold and i have no garage to fix mine in. i got rear discs from a napa-supplied store for 29 bucks apiece. i think partsource has 'em similarly priced.

Edited by skrillaguerilla

Guest DTECH

Luker, I agree wtih Skrilla. your pins were probably jammed from dust and being dry thus not letting the caliper adjust to the wear. That pad was probably on you caliper side? Clean the pins and use some dielectric silicon on the them. I have found it to be the problem on too many cars to count. BTW if anyone gets the notion to buy a new capiler, you can buy the rebuild kit instead for 3-4 bucks! I rebuilt front right on my pathy and it works great.

:aok:

DTECH

i think it's because he got a shoddy brake pad. Where did you find this caliper rebuild kit? my rear caliper's piston is stuck and I should fix that sooner or later :hide: might as well do it when I replace the pads and rotor.

Guest DTECH

I got mine at Autozone for 3.95. Its basically seals and those copper washers. It come with instructions. Your supposed to hone the piston bores but I didn't it works fine though. Be ready to bleed the s**t out of your brakes when you do it.

DTECH