Well, I did it again

88pathoffroad

Went out up in the mountains, played around a little bit. Came home with the steering wheel pointing a funny direction. Bent another UCA spindle.

I think I'll borrow an oxy/acetylene torch and heat treat the next spindle I put in. Goddamn things, anyway. I'm really getting tired of replacing IFS parts.

Man, you're getting good at that. :P I wonder if some sort of brace could be fabbed. Maybe something bolting to the centerof the spindle, then going around the UCA's and mounting at the nuts on either end. That probably wouldn't work though. Good luck and happy replacement!

Ok, it's fixed.

I had to replace the passenger's side spindle, upper balljoint, the CV on that side and an outer tie rod end. The old spindle was bent one tenth of an inch. Sheesh. The BJ was so loose I could spin it in it's socket by finger. The tie rod was slopped out the same way. The CV had a busted boot full of holes and also full of mud, so I swapped that out while I was in there. Fun times.

Steers straight as an arrow now! Woohoo!

LOL. Mmmmmm... rubber. Man, that's some serious destruction. At least nobody could call you a mall crawler! Did you replace with new stuff (BJ & CV) or junk yard finds? I think you should think ahead and fab braces for EVERYTHING. :rolleyes:

Team Meow in full effect. By the way, I know you're not going to advertise guys working on their trucks supported by only a jack in a gravel driveway with no jack stands. Right? :X

That was TWO jacks, and I hadn't set up the jackstand yet. I do what I can. Believe it or not, that gravel is fairly firm stuff. I use a 1/4" steel plate to set my jackstands on.

As an expert in reading feline body language, it is more apparent to me that at the time this picture was taken, the better half of TeamMeow was about to stop all additional work until the jackstand was properly set and the wheel was slid under the frame as an emergency stop.

See the tensed muscles? See the attentive appearance to the eyes? See the marks in the tire from all 18 sharp points being flexed in anticipation of the need for further communication? Yup, there was going to be a rumble if Aaron tried to take any safety shortcuts...

I concur, although the anxiety expressed by said feline was not for the sake of its own furry hide, having nine lives and all, but for the continued mobility of the one known as "Friskies Getter".

Albeit cats are great companions, its been my observation that most have a very linear thought process and generally quite self-absorbed.