Newbie from Florida

benhurmx

Hi everyone,

Own a 1991 NIssan Pathfinder since 1996, just for regular commuting. Very reliable truck except for the transmission. Had to rebuild it 5 years ago (99K miles). Now it has 188K and i am starting to have transmission failure symptoms. Reverse works but with difficulty at a very low speed any obstacle will prevent it ro run. Forward gears all work fine. In forward the transmission seem to slip when cold, runs fine at normal temperature. I did not flush the fluid since the transmission was rebuilt. Is it a good idea to flush the system now ? i got advice that's useless and could make it worse.

Any advice greatly appreciated!

Have a wonderful day

Let me be the first to say "Welcome to the forums" WAVEY

Failure of the AT's is a known problem and other than heavily recommending an after market tranny cooler (eliminate the factory unit), I will let some of the others jump in about the auto... those who have direct experience with this beast... as I prefer and have a 5spd.

Welcome! WAVEY

Whoever told you that AT fluid doesn't need to be changed doesn't know what they are talking about. Trans fluid needs to be changed just like motor oil, however much less frequently. 99k is LONG overdue for a flush! It might help as it could be your reverse solenoid is sticking. However more likely is that the trans is about to go. :( Sorry to break the bad news. Go to a reliable transmission shop and have them inspect it (an easy task since the transmission pan has to be removed to flush the fluid (wait maybe not, do 91's have trans fluid drain plugs? :confused: ))

If it is about to die and you decide to get it rebuilt/replaced make sure to get an aftermarket trans cooler installed. In fact get one installed no matter what condition the transmission is in. The stock trans coolers are prone to block, which causes the AT fluid to overheat which kills the transmission.

I also have to have my AT fluid flushed and get a trans cooler installed. Hopefully I'll be able to do so over spring break.

Anyways welcome to the boards, I hope we can help you with any other questions you might have! :aok:

glad to see another fla boy here, click on the FNT link in my sig, we are having a run in the summer to ocala, it just started to plan it out, i live in voulsia, where u at

and welcome!

Welcome. WAVEY

In what part of FL are you located? I'm in Tampa and FLApathy (another NPORA member) is from the Daytona Beach area.

BTW, if you'd like to go wheeling there's a run being planned on the Florida Nissan Trailriders message board to Ocala. Click here for the FNT board.

Thanks guys for your responses. I love this site.

What a good after market AT trans cooler ? And is it difficult to install ? Cost ?

As far as I know they aren't too difficult of an install for someone with good mechanical knowledge. B&M is a good brand, we've got a thread with reviews and such found here: http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=6486

Cost is going to vary. Check out www.summitracing.com they have quite a good selection. :aok:

Thanks again for your input. I live in Plantation FLorida. Thanks for the trial riding invitation, my truck is in bad shape right now, have to fix it first.

Any specs for the radiator that i should look for.

Best Regards